Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony's Three-CCD HDV 1080i Camcorder

Started by dudeunderwater ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony's Three-CCD HDV 1080i Camcorder

23 posts
  1. I'm sure it's going to be amazing! I can't wait to see it in action. Craig? Maybe it's time to get back into video. :)

  2. Just a few specs for those interested. I handled the camera in NYC yesterday. The camera has a 3 lux minimum, like the DVX100 but not close to the 1 lux of the PD170. Only does 1080i, no progressive scan mode. From what I was told, the proprietry Sony HDV codec is not supported by FCP at the moment. WIll be a pro version coming out next year. Looking at the unit, it's fatter than the PD and anyone thinking of it retrofitting the VX/PD housings can forget it. The LCD placement is impossible for even the cavernous Sea&Sea and L&M housings, but I didn't get the dimension specs so I can't be sure.

    It's a nice handling camera and looks like they will do the FX1 and the Pro version like the VX and PD series.

  3. Sure is an odd shape to house. Perhaps the monitor can be viewed directly through the top of the housing as it should properly be. :)

     

    The codec required for this camera is not proprietary but rather conforms to the HDV standard. Editing packages have been slow to integrate support for HDV especially FCP. Both Premiere and Vegas can do it (at least the 720p form) but output is another matter. FCP requires a thrid party addon that provides offline editing.

     

    Curious that Sony would suggest that HDV justifies a new tape at the hansome price of $18!

  4. Curious that Sony would suggest that HDV justifies a new tape at the hansome price of $18!

     

    Can I assume you are being sarcastic? The only thing that would surprise me about Sony would be if it DIDN'T require a different tape stock.

     

    The purchase of the D5 was the happiest day of my career. A NON Sony tape machine! :)

  5. Curious that Sony would suggest that HDV justifies a new tape at the hansome price of $18!

     

    Can I assume you are being sarcastic? The only thing that would surprise me about Sony would be if it DIDN'T require a different tape stock.

     

    The Sony DOESN'T require a diffferent tape stock.. it's offering a higher quality tape stock that offers fewer dropouts.. It will play and record on standard miniDV tapes currently available.

     

    Premiere supports the 1080i format of HDV. Not sure about vegas.

     

    FCP will support HDV in the next release:

    http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=654

     

    This is going to be one sweet camera.. can't wait to see some test footage.. I wonder what the "PRO" version will offer. I can't see paying an extra $3000 for XLR inputs.. Maybe 1/2" CCDs??

  6. Of course it will record on standard DV tapes! That's what HDV does. What's ridiculous is that Sony would suggest that HDV would need or benefit from an exotic DV tape and such an astonomical price. Sony's done it before, though, and that was my point.

     

    I've had equally good/bad experiences with Premiere and Vegas regarding 720p editing so I think the issues with 1080i are similar for both. Premiere comes with no HD presets.

     

    I shot the Gates/JVC last week and was quite disappointed with the ergonomics of the controls. Very frustrating.

  7.  I shot the Gates/JVC last week and was quite disappointed with the ergonomics of the controls.    Very frustrating.

     

     

     

     

     

    Could you expand on that. What was not to you liking ??

  8. The on/off control is extremely difficult to use, yet you have to use it every time the camera goes into standby (since it doesn't respond to any of the other controls).

     

    The menu control is easily bumped and very difficult / time consuming to clear once you've activated it. Operating any of the menu functions is nearly impossible underwater.

     

    The viewfinder doesn't naturally line up with the magnifier so you need to be careful installing the camera or you will not have a finder at all. The JVC changes its diopter setting when you move the finder in and out. Another infuriating detail. The external monitor is a must (but it is NTSC 4:3).

     

    There are controls for aperture and shutter priority which are of questionable use, yet there is no support for exposure lock of exposure compensation. The camera offers no true manual exposure capability so there's no way to tone down overexposure.

     

    There is no true wide angle solution that works with the housing. The widest lens is not recommended for the JVC and the next step down is less than 80 degrees. Not especially a problem for me on the trip I was on but disappointing.

     

    The JVC offers a zoom range which is too long and doesn't provide sufficient close focus. Macro shooting will be more difficult that it should be though I did not do any on my last trip. My experience with pool sessions was to use the dome port rather than the flat port, then use a combination of a fixed diopter and a flip diopter to get the close focus I needed. A wide angle wet lens may make a better macro solution. The combination of poor close focus, a 400mm telephoto zoom, and the Gates flat port is not what you want!

     

    On the plus side, the JVC autoexposure is quite good and the performance (within its comfort zone) is beyond any DV camera. The Gates housing is beautifully made and has a wonderfully flexible flip filter arrangement.

     

    The Sony camera looks interesting and I'd expect electronic controls to be easily doable. I'd also expect that Sony doesn't make the same boneheaded mistakes that JVC made regarding lack of manual exposure, inflexible lens, terrible ergonomics and bad power management decisions. The top-mounted monitor looks like a housing challenge (or perhaps and opportunity). The lens filter thread is 72mm so I'm concerned about compatibility with existing optics.

  9. Curious that Sony would suggest that HDV justifies a new tape at the hansome price of $18!

     

    Early reports of some drop outs from users in Japan. nothing heard from users in US yet. MPEG2 dropouts look like a frozen screen for 1/2 second.. (GOP = 15 frames). I assume SONY saw this coming so they're offering this higher quality tape with fewer chance of dropouts. 12.99 per tape at B&H order 10 or more.

     

    I ordered this camera and should have it in my hands tomorrow.

  10. Pinnacle Systens Liquid Edition 6 supports HDV

    Check out Pinnacle Systems Liquid Edition 6. It supports HDV, 1080i, 720p, native HD editing.

     

    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.a...480&Langue_ID=7

     

    I've been using it for the past 6 months and it's great. Even on low powered laptops. Creating DVDs are very easy.

     

    Curtis

  11. I've been playing with this camera for over a week now.. AMAZING!! the footage is awesome.. can't wait to get it wet.

  12. Got my camera yesterday.

    java script:emoticon(':lol:')java script:emoticon(':lol:')

    Housing is is half built - waiting on optics and the machine shop.

     

    Can't wait to get this in the water.

  13. Please send pics!! I need a housing!! I also got the .8 wide angle adaptor which should arrive tomorrow.

  14. I just got my FX1 and have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, the resolution and color is amazing. Not exactly HDCAM but at 1/500th of the price, I'll take it. I did notice a little pixelling on faster pans in the cinema mode. There goes the progressive scan mode. Ah well I guess a second render with magic bullet will bring me right back to DV when computers were 600mhz-1ghz.

    Housingwise, still waiting on amphibico and S&S. On the waiting list but not holding my breath. The camera is heavier than the old PD170. I may just return it and wait for the ZX1 which suits me more anyways.

  15. The optics of the new camera (72mm) means old legacy lenses from the old housings will not work without compromises to the pic. There goes that 110° WAL. :D

    I'm not sure I'd put a $5k camera (the Z1U which I'm patiently waiting for release having sold my FX1E) in a housing with a plexiglass back monitor (even if it is 6.5"). It would suffer from reflections and the viewing position would be awkward. Looks like a painted USVH housing. With polyurethane and the bulky design, I think the buoyancy of that housing to be VERY positive. I'll wait for an aluminum housing which is hopefully more compact with electronic controls instead of all that bulky 2 handle controls. The optics will be limited to screw on lenses and would suffer a bit of quality since the dome port design would limit the angle achievable by the WA adapters. Purpose built WAL are better quality wise. But kudos to the guys to be first on the market. I half expected Ikelite to be first.

    I already bought the achromatic diopters from Century Optics. The quality of image of the +3.5 is pretty close to the +4 but once you stack them the image is pretty unusable unless fully zoomed thru. Then you suffer from bad DOF. sigh!

  16. I'm not sure if you've ever seen an FX-1 in person, but nothing about the camera is compact. The LCD screen requires the top of the housing to be as wide as it is- as it's almost as wide as the camera body itself. I'm not sure you're going to get much more compact unless you use a 2 piece clamshell design.

  17. Waiting 'til end of Feb

    The Pro version of this camera the HVR-Z1(E) will be shipped to European stockists toward the end of Feb. I'm waiting to purchase that model. Housing wise I am in touch with Sealux - www.sealux.de - who have mentioned that their housing will, should, be available roughly at the same time as the pro camera versions release. I've been using Sealux housings for 7 years. They are compact, offer a 50/50 mix on electronic and manual controls and are, in my book, as rugged as a housing needs to be. They (Sealux) are also open to discussions regarding custom development of peripherals. I'm looking to house a 7" 16:9 monitor with their expertise. I haven't had the luxury of seeing one of these new cameras in the flesh yet but by all reports they seem to be well received. A few toothing problems but C'est la vie. Here's to adopting this format as the way forward.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.