Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Anglerfish Trigger - remote slave sensor

Started by TimG ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

Anglerfish Trigger - remote slave sensor

26 posts
  1. Thanks, Adam. That's really helpful and makes good sense - especially the tippiness of using the extended centre column.

     

    The Retra snoot is 215mm long.

     

    Using the stick arms (which are the type used on the setup in the middle of the pic), the SS-T size of stick arms, which are 120mm long, create a tripod height range of 65- 220mm with the centre column retracted. This increases to 445mm with the centre column extended. Sounds about right, I reckon.

     

    Did you need any kind of weight or is the combination sufficiently neutrally negative?

     

    Hmmmm......

  2. Adam, Thank you for the pics...what ball brand do you use on top of the legs of the gorilla...I am struggling to get a firm one it keeps rotating and is loose. Thanks Pier

  3. I think mine is an Ultralight one.

     

    It does loosen itself, particularly with all the leverage that can be applied by the strobe and clamp. I just tighten it as hard as I can.

     

    That said, I have lost one Gorillapod...I would suggest having a lanyard that keep Gorillapod and strobe together in the event of them inadvertently unscrewing themselves..

     

    Adam

  4. Adam,

    How far of a distance can you place the trigger away from the strobe on the camera it would need to detect? I was thinking of getting one to light up some shots inside wrecks, but wasn't sure how far it can be placed to still pickup the triggering strobe on the camera, any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

  5. On 2/1/2019 at 4:10 PM, adamhanlon said:

    The only issue is that switching them on/off can be a challenge for some. I have no issues doing it, but some others seem to!

    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

    I just received mine last week and have spent several sessions over the weekend trying to master the on/off sequence.  Read the anglerfish online manual and watched the video and also saw your short video on this topic.  Thanks for this.

    For me, the trick is to ensure the purple LED flashes each time the device is struck.  If the purple LED doesn't flash, the strike didn't actuate the accelerometer switch.  The key is to get 3 purple LED flashes to actuate the on or off sequence.  It took me several days to realize this.  Now I can do it repeatedly, but was about to return the device.  I find that 1 out of 3 strikes fails to actuate the switch.  No big deal now that I realize this.

    I would prefer to turn on the device well before I enter the water, preferably during an initial pre-dive equipment check.  Does anybody know how long the device will remain on once actuated before it goes dormant again?

     

  6. I must admit I struggle a bit switching it on and off. 

    Once activated, according to the manual, it stays live for 2 hours 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.