Hi everyone!
I have a Nikon 1 J4 with the Nikon underwater housing. I like the camera, image quality is good (not great, but good enough for my U/W needs) and the housing is superb. I have been using the setup pretty casually for reef dives in the Florida Keys. stuff like this:
https://dancopephoto.pixieset.com/g/floridakeys2016/
(decent, especially for the cost of the system)
Now I have a trip coming up to the Socorro Islands. So big pelagic animals. Mantas, sharks, bait balls, maybe whale sharks.
So the issues/questions:
-liveaboard trip took a big bite out of the budget
-desire to keep the kit small, light, cheap.
-The J4 has a top sync of 1/60, which is slow. Will the strobe be enough light to freeze slowly moving animals? Alternatively is there any way to force/fake/fix this? I know some strobes have an "external auto" function, but thus far I haven't thought anyway around the 1/60th.
-Shooting pelagic animals to means wide angles, which to my thinking means A: higher power strobes, and B: probably two strobes. Given this (and the 1/60th) should I even be considering strobes on a modest budget, or should I just go ambient. if the animals are going to be several feet away anyway?
-I assume if I tried to do this with video lights they'd be huge and expensive.
.
.
.
.
.
.
......
..
.
Alternatively as a last resort, should I scrap the whole J4 thing and get a RX100 mk whatever and cheap housing with a single strobe (budget probably wouldn't stretch to two strobes)
I welcome any and all info/advice/answers/opinions: