Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Recommendations for affordable UW Video Options

Started by jtkirby426 ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Recommendations for affordable UW Video Options

27 posts
  1. I'd probably go with something a little bit more than 2500lm. My father uses a 5k lumen weefine light (same as kraken I believe) and is quite happy with it. A single 3000 lumen light was really only good enough for close up work.

  2. 4 hours ago, hyp said:

    I'd probably go with something a little bit more than 2500lm. My father uses a 5k lumen weefine light (same as kraken I believe) and is quite happy with it. A single 3000 lumen light was really only good enough for close up work.

    OK, thanks for that.

  3. On 10/19/2020 at 6:07 PM, TimG said:

    Guys

    My partner has had a GoPro 4 for years. On a recent dive she was offered the use of a small dive light on a tray/arm. She was quite enthused!

    She'd like to look into getting a light but I know precious little about video lights. So I'm looking for a recommendation. The Krakens and Big Blue seem popular. I'm guessing about 2500 lumens., My partner would not be interested in anything which might qualify as "fancy". Simple, straightforward....

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks!

    If you go with the Kraken(Weefing) 5000 light make sure you order at least 1 extra battery.  I have the 5000 and I only get about 45min per battery EVEN with the light in burst and standby mode (this should only turn on the light when I need it to flash for a photo)

  4. Thanks for that Dann-Oh. A very good point to know.

    Attention is now actually turning to the Orca 910V.

  5. Reviving this thread - I already have a TG-6. I'm curious if a newer GoPro would offer better video quality than the TG-6.

    Let's assume all other things are equal - e.g:

    TG-6 with wide angle lens & manual white balance vs GoPro with red filter

    or

    TG-6 with wide angle lens + video lights vs GoPro + video lights

    Both set to 1080p, 60fps

  6. 40 minutes ago, anchochile said:

    Reviving this thread - I already have a TG-6. I'm curious if a newer GoPro would offer better video quality than the TG-6.

    Let's assume all other things are equal - e.g:

    TG-6 with wide angle lens & manual white balance vs GoPro with red filter

    or

    TG-6 with wide angle lens + video lights vs GoPro + video lights

    Both set to 1080p, 60fps

    I would imaging the TG6 would still capture a better image due to it being a larger camera body it would be more stable in the water.  there is nothing worse than watching a jittery/vibrating video clip.

  7. 9 minutes ago, Dann-Oh said:

    I would imaging the TG6 would still capture a better image due to it being a larger camera body it would be more stable in the water.  there is nothing worse than watching a jittery/vibrating video clip.

    Ah, I forgot to mention in my "all else being equal" list - I do have a tray for the TG-6 that would also work with a GoPro, so let's assume they are both being used on a tray of equal size. 

    In fact, I have read that the GoPro has really excellent image stablization; many of the underwater GoPro clips I have seen actually look smoother and more stable than what I have been able to capture with my TG-6 on a tray.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.