Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon 8-15 color fringing

Started by Draq ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon 8-15 color fringing

17 posts
  1. I recently used a new 8-15 for the first time, both with and without a kenko 1.4.

     

    I took a few shots of a sea crate and got some obnoxious blue-green color fringing (with the kenko on). I was not in a position to take the same shots without the TC, so do not know if it might be to blame. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this?

  2. Tim, thanks for that. I was familiar with that issue. I was using the lens on a D500 and the fringing I am speaking of was on the subject itself. I can't upload an image right now, but could do so later if that aided the discussion. Sorry I misspelled Fringing in the title.

  3. Oh right. Hmmm, not had that problem. If yo can upload a couple of pics when possible, that'd be great.

    I'll amend the title. No worries!

    Edited by TimG
  4. Here is an image. Cropped and downsized, etc., to fit here. Original was of course a raw image.

     

    I know a high contrast subject like this can be tough and did not see any fringing on other images, but still wondering.

    post-9065-0-13233800-1560268421_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Draq
  5. That is odd. I've had nothing like that when I've used the 8-15 on its own.

     

    I know Adam Hanlon and Walt Stearns have been using the lens. Any thoughts, chaps?

     

    I'm off to Bonaire shortly so will check it out there with the TC and see what happens.

  6. I can't say I've had/noticed this issue shooting with the Z7.

  7. Hi Draq,

     

    I assume it is a very small area of the entire image at the corner that you have posted? Still the fringing should not be so pronounced in the out of focus regions- I would expect this at most from the Tokina 10-17mm. Mabe you can show the entire image and also write the settings (aperture, exposure, extension, dome...).

    There may be a problem with the lens (dropped?). Or maybe you use just the wrong extension...

     

    And please be careful with these highly toxic sea kraits - not a good idea to aproach them so close with a fisheye lens and push the dome on such an animal... :o

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  8. Could be a Faulty lens - How much of the frame and what part of frame is this?

  9. Wow Draq! That is some serious blue-green color fringing going there. Can I ask which model Kenko televonverter you using?

     

    The only one I found that worked properly with the 8-15 was the Teleplus PRO 300 DGX. The rest, including their newer, pricier TELEPLUS HD pro 1.4x DGX rendered less than satisfactory results, but nothing on the level I am seeing there.

     

    Without more information like which Nikon DSLR model you are using, along with camera settings – aperture, shutterspeed and ISO, you are using its impossible to make a judgment call on what piece of equipment (the teleconverter, the 8-15 or the sensor) might actually be causing it.

  10. Thanks for the input, so far. I do not have the settings, etc., available to me now, I will update later. The krait was in the center of the image and the head and first several inches were in better focus. I think I have a bit of motion blur on the body. I took three shots and the fringing appears on each one. The camera was a D500 and I was using a nauticam 140 dome with a 40mm nauticam extension. The kenko was a teleplus HD pro 1.4 DGX. I had no other apparent issues with less contrasty subjects, but perhaps I will go back and look at some of those again. I am not sure I can upload the original image in RAW due to size but will take a look. I will get actual settings later but most likely was shooting between F9 and F13 and either 1/60 or 1/25 with Z240 strobes in TTL mode. ISO probably 100.

  11. This is an uncropped image.

     

    ISO 200

    Focal length 15mm (plus1.4 Kenko for a total 21mm)

    1/60 f11

     

    Any input on fringing issue welcome

    post-9065-0-68551000-1560380678_thumb.jpg

  12. The color of the "fringing" is consistent with the shadow colors (light from strobes blocked). This suggests that you may have ghosting from ambient light as the snake moved during the exposure. Note the shutter speed is 1/60th of a second. Strobes mentioned in post 11.

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  13. Yep, I'm with Tom on that. When you see the full image I'd say it's shadowing. I've seen this on other images, usually on more wide-angled shots, where the strobe has not light areas at the back of the image. If memory serves, this has usually been at shallower depths.

     

    Isn't there similar "fringing" on the rocks/coral below and to the right of the kraits upper body?

     

    Not a problem of the lens or lens/TC, I'd suggest.

  14. I would agree, there's also something funky going on with the reef BG, like perhaps some movement?? even at 21mm I'd feel the DOF should extend all over the reef areas.

  15. That all makes sense. This was in shallow water and an unplanned shot. There some decent surge and I shot fast, hence the poor choice of shutter speed and perhaps some motion on my part due to the surge. It was one of those "Oh look, a krait" kind of things and I grabbed a few shots as it headed off out of reach.

  16. Just good the krait didn't grab you.... :crazy:

     

    Presumably other shots with Nikkor 8-15 are fine?

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.