Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Seafrogs A6XXX salted line buoyancy

Started by Yorkie88 ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Seafrogs A6XXX salted line buoyancy

22 posts
  1. 2 hours ago, Slaaaake said:

    Are these values while using the vacum system? So it's even worse than 1.5-2kg with an 8inch dome? 

    The vacuum system has no appreciable effect of buoyancy - the mass of air that it removes from the housing is probably less than a gram. Yes, the housing, especially with a big dome, is quite floaty, although accessories do drag it down. After upgrading from SeaFrogs strobes to Retra Pro strobes with superchargers, I found myself needing to replace two of the ladder arms with 300g carbon fiber floats in order to keep it close to neutral.

    2 hours ago, Slaaaake said:

    Sorry for the multiple posts but also, how do you add weight to your camera system? Where do you attach it?

    I use 7-gram automobile wheel weights attached to the back side of the dome, like this. They don't rust, and they come on sticky pads that have proven to be impervious to salt water over the years. Although with the heavy strobes I have now, I could probably get my rig negative without the weights, I'm keeping them for better trim - without them, the housing would try to float dome-up even when the whole thing is overall negative. I have a pair of Weefine WFA37 adjustable floats on the way; with those, I should be able to dial the buoyancy perfectly neutral while maintaining a reasonably even trim.

  2. Gotcha. 

    Thanks for the great tip with the lead on the dome, that is great! 

    I'll probably get Z330s so they're only 50g under water, I hope I won't need floats. I might need some for macro but that's ok, I've used a very heavy setup (at least 1kg underwater) for years, I'm sure it'll be fine haha! It's the 8inch dome that scared me, definitely don't want to have a floaty camera! 

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.