Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Can dx compete with fx with nauticam WACP

Started by pooley ·

  • 31Posts
  • 31Replies

Read-only discussion

Can dx compete with fx with nauticam WACP

31 posts
  1. I am reading here with interest and can answer the last question: for equisolid fisheye diagonal AOV's are 180-98 degree for Tokina 10mm - 17mm and 160-79 degree for 8-15mm with 1.4x converter (=11.2-21mm), both on DX.

    Wolfgang

  2. I use a D800 and D850 underwater and had used a D500 for topside for a few years. Others have made some very compelling arguments on what  path to take...I will add just a few quick notes.

    1- the difference in price between D850 and D500 when you look at the big picture (housing+ports+WACP+lenses) is to small, IMHO, to choose one instead of another.

    2 - D850 can be used in "DX" mode with almost the same resolution as a D500, and use DX lenses setup. 

    3- the main difference between D850 and D500 is resolution and about 1 stop less noise regarding ISO. Depends on how big you print or how much you crop. 

    4 - If you use a DX system I suggest looking at the Sigma 17-70. By far the most versatile lens I used underwater, and if you keep it at F8 and smaller, gives you great image quality. You won´t need a WACP. 

    Having said that, I think mirrorless cameras (of any brand) will be the future. If you will start a new system from zero, I would consider a mirrorless camera.

    I don´t know much about Sony, but would look carefully into that if were starting something from zero today.    

    Nikon is rumored to announce a new camera (60mpx) until the end of the year. 

    And I would chose Z7 over D850 (even if D850 is a better camera) and start building a lens setup on Nikkor Z lenses. 

     Best regards and good luck

    Marcelo 

  3. 3 hours ago, Marcelo Krause said:

    4 - If you use a DX system I suggest looking at the Sigma 17-70. By far the most versatile lens I used underwater, and if you keep it at F8 and smaller, gives you great image quality. You won´t need a WACP. 

    Fully agree ... I'm using the Sigma 17-70 mm with a D7500. The versatility of the lens is awesome.

    From wide angle shots, to fish portraits at 50-70 mm, to macro shots, it gives great pictures. When diving on a reef, you can change from one type of picture to the other, and it enables to cover the full richness of sights. It also enables great pictures of large fishes (mantas, sharks, ...) which often do not come close enough to take full advantage of a wide angle. 

    Except when going on macro dives in places like Anilao and Lembeh, it is my lens of choice in 90% of dives.

    And there is no lens as versatile (at least of Nikon) in FX format.

    DX for macro is also great, as it gives more magnification, and more depth of field.

    So if you focus on very specific types of pictures, then yes, a FX camera with a lens tuned to the type of pictures that you aim may give you superior results in some cases.

    If you prefer versatility, DX is probably a better option ...

  4. I use a D800 and D850 underwater and had used a D500 for topside for a few years. Others have made some very compelling arguments on what  path to take...I will add just a few quick notes.
    1- the difference in price between D850 and D500 when you look at the big picture (housing+ports+WACP+lenses) is to small, IMHO, to choose one instead of another.
    2 - D850 can be used in "DX" mode with almost the same resolution as a D500, and use DX lenses setup. 
    3- the main difference between D850 and D500 is resolution and about 1 stop less noise regarding ISO. Depends on how big you print or how much you crop. 
    4 - If you use a DX system I suggest looking at the Sigma 17-70. By far the most versatile lens I used underwater, and if you keep it at F8 and smaller, gives you great image quality. You won´t need a WACP. 
    Having said that, I think mirrorless cameras (of any brand) will be the future. If you will start a new system from zero, I would consider a mirrorless camera.
    I don´t know much about Sony, but would look carefully into that if were starting something from zero today.    
    Nikon is rumored to announce a new camera (60mpx) until the end of the year. 
    And I would chose Z7 over D850 (even if D850 is a better camera) and start building a lens setup on Nikkor Z lenses. 
     Best regards and good luck
    Marcelo 
    Very informative post, thankyou.

    As it happens I ended up with a d500 in nauticam which gets its first trip on Friday.

    I agree mirrorless is the future and am considering a switch to sony topside next year, so who knows about the next setup!

    D500 will do for now!

    Cheers

    Mike

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  5. I think the one stop of ISO of full frame is balanced out by the one stop you gain at wide angle to sensor crop so from that point of view I don't think you will be disappointed
    Having been on various boats with my compact first and micro four thirds after it is very clear that the benefit if full frame is to have richer colours and tones especially when the ISO goes up
    On my last liveaboard there was a very capable photographer with a D500 and at wide angle his IQ was not discernible from my GH5. However I have seen practically the same shot taken with a D850 and it just looked richer than anything else
    On a practical note a Dx set up is so much effective with lenses. You can get a tokina fisheye and a sigma 75mm and basically you cover 90% of shots only needing a larger dome for splits
    I would not bother with the WACP even if it was compatible as it is very very bulky and you would still need a fisheye

    Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

  6. On 10/8/2019 at 5:04 PM, Algwyn said:

    Fully agree ... I'm using the Sigma 17-70 mm with a D7500. The versatility of the lens is awesome.

    From wide angle shots, to fish portraits at 50-70 mm, to macro shots, it gives great pictures. When diving on a reef, you can change from one type of picture to the other, and it enables to cover the full richness of sights. It also enables great pictures of large fishes (mantas, sharks, ...) which often do not come close enough to take full advantage of a wide angle. 

    <snipped>


    What combo are you using with the 7500/17-70?

  7. On 10/30/2019 at 3:00 AM, Akoni said:


    What combo are you using with the 7500/17-70?

    I'm using  a 40mm extension and 160mm dome

  8. Pooley, how are you getting on with the D500? What lens/port did you settle on?

     

    Also, for those that have tried the WACP with the D500...is there a preferable version of the 18-55 and what apertures have proven successful?

  9. Very happy with the D500. Ended up with the Nikon 8-15 with kenko 1.4x in a zen 4" mini-dome, with the 60mm, 105mm and SMC-1 for macro. I kept my old 8" dome in case I ever need it, but wanted the small dome for travel. 

    Very happy so far with the setup, I'm sure a D850 with WACP would provide technically superior results, but for web use and the occasional print I'm more than happy. Excellent detail, quick focus, certainly good enough for me.

     

    Mike

  10. 1 hour ago, pooley said:

    Very happy with the D500. Ended up with the Nikon 8-15 with kenko 1.4x in a zen 4" mini-dome, with the 60mm, 105mm and SMC-1 for macro. I kept my old 8" dome in case I ever need it, but wanted the small dome for travel. 

    Very happy so far with the setup, I'm sure a D850 with WACP would provide technically superior results, but for web use and the occasional print I'm more than happy. Excellent detail, quick focus, certainly good enough for me.

     

    Mike

    I love my D500 setup as well. How do you find the focusing with the 8-15 and Kenko? Having just added an 8-15 to my quiver, that combo seems to ‘focus jitter’ a lot during dry testing. Maybe I need the new version of the Kenko or to tweak my focus settings. I’ll break out my old Zen DP-100 and figure out what extension ring I need and get it in the water for some tests soon.

    I think I’m going to pick up a WACP in the meantime and try it with one of the 18-55’s. I think I’ll either add or move to a FF system in the next couple years and the pain of a WACP acquisition now will be but a distant memory. 

  11. What about the Z7 over the D500?

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.