Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Blackwater diving

Started by kdgonzalez ·

  • 40Posts
  • 40Replies

Read-only discussion

Blackwater diving

40 posts
  1. Hi Gonzales,

    Beautiful photos...

     

    Can you please state which camera,lens, extension and domeport was used?

     

    Wolfgang

     

  2. It is a beautiful shot. I would strongly suggest entering some of these into "real" photo competitions with judges, instead of popularity contests won by those with the most facebook friends.

  3. nikon d7200 w/ nikon 60mm lens.  nauticam housing and port

  4. OH MY ! THESE ARE INCREDIBLE. 

  5. Simply amazing! i love blackwater pics! thanks for sharing!

  6. These are all simply stunning!  Can't wait to try a blackwater dive someday.

     

  7. Fabulous pics!  I just got back from NAD myself....  the resort / guides are awesome and all of the blackwater photography coming out is amazing!   :)

  8. Really nice shots. What's the tecnical that you are using to do it?. It looks like you are positioning the strobes behind the subjets.

  9. On 12/23/2019 at 10:53 AM, atus said:

    Really nice shots. What's the tecnical that you are using to do it?. It looks like you are positioning the strobes behind the subjets.

    most of the pictures were shot with the strobes in normal position (above and to the side of the lens). However, some of the translucent subjects were shot with one strobe behind and the other in front. 

  10. Amazing pics! Wow!

  11. Absolutely beautiful work!

    You said this was the first time for you on a Black Water dive.  How difficult was it to frame and focus?  I have never done that type of dive and I very much want to try on future trips.  Any suggestions?

    Brant

  12. 3 hours ago, PhotoJunkie said:

    Absolutely beautiful work!

    You said this was the first time for you on a Black Water dive.  How difficult was it to frame and focus?  I have never done that type of dive and I very much want to try on future trips.  Any suggestions?

    Brant

    There is quite a steep learning curve.  A strong focus light will be very useful, I use a sola red 1200.  Framing is all over the place as most things move really fast so I always try to shoot a bit wider then crop down and shoot lots of pictures.  Diving with NAD for a week also helped get into the habit. Best of luck

     

  13. Woaw ! It's so beautifull and awesome !

    I hope that one day I will be able to do the same thing.

     

    Alex

  14. these are amazing ! did you use snoot? 

  15. Tell us more on the  camera /lens settings if you would??Great shots

    Mark

  16. 1 hour ago, EFLT said:

    these are amazing ! did you use snoot? 

    No snoot necessary as you are shooting at night in open water with nothing in the background except for backscatter.

     

  17. 53 minutes ago, onokai said:

    Tell us more on the  camera /lens settings if you would??Great shots

    Mark

    Nikon d7200 w/ nikon 60 mm lens

    if you click on the image it will take you to my flickr profile and you can see all the settings the photos were taken under.  roughly f11-14, 1/250sec, iso400.  external flashes ysd2 at +0.5-1 EV

  18. Very cool pix!

  19. i love your photos!!!!

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.