During my last trip to Raja Ampat I tried shooting HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) with my new camcorder Sony HXR-NX80.
Before the trip I had no intention of shooting with HLG, but Juan Miguel Núñez Arellano (http://wetpixel.es) encouraged me to do so and mentored me during the trip providing me with valuable tips, and later - he guided me through post-processing of HLG footage. I am very grateful to Juan for all his time and mentoring. You could visit Juan's YouTube Channel to see his footage shut using HLG and recommended settings.
The following video is a collection of 4K underwater video clips shot in HDR HLG, BT2020 color space at various depths:
https://youtu.be/JaL6gkwfJQY
All clips were converted to Rec.709 color space using the following two methods:
1 - FCPX HDR Tool 'HDR to Rec.709 SDR', and
2 - Lemming Camera LUT 'Pro Sony A - HLG to Rec.709 and Custom LUT 'Quicker - Neutral Film'.
Please note that:
- Clip #13 is a comparison between FCPX HDR Tool and RAW file.
- Clip #14 was shot using SDR Rec.709.
- Clips #12, 13 and 14 were shot at the same point (Cape Kri site at 35 m) and at about the same time (at about 8:30 am), but clip #14 was shot a different day.
It is my understanding that the optimal depth range for the UR Pro Red Filter and Keldan Ambient Filter is between 10 and 20 m, and I found it to be a bit more challenging to grade footage shot outside of that depth range.
In most cases, the difference between grading using the above two method is very minor, but I found that grading using Lemming Camera LUT gives a bit better result compared to FCPX HDR Tool (except of Clip #13), but it could be due to a lack of my experience. Also, I should mention that I did not use much video lights as as specific situation demanded.
I will keep experimenting with HLG on my next trip. Meanwhile, if you have any questions please let me know. In addition, I will appreciate your comments and constructive criticism. I numbered all clips for the convenience of referencing to them.
Best regards and thank you.