I have been shooting with Nikon DSLR’s since D70. I used D200, D300s, D7100 and finally switched to D850.
Even though my current camera is a sophisticated one I sometimes feel like I am not using the full potential of it since mostly I am shooting with the D850 the way I used to shoot with my D70.
In saying this one of my major concern is the autofocus system while shooting macro.
I used to use single servo auto focus after moving the single focus point on a desired location within the viewfinder and to refocus to the eye every time while I press the shutter release button. However while doing this I also have to move the camera together with the moving fish so that I have the single focus point on fish’s eye. For me this technique works. However I have some shots with better background composition but lacking focus. Whereas some shots with worse background but pin-sharp focus. Shooting anemone fish is a typical example what I am trying to describe above.
The D850 is supposed to have one of the most advanced autofocus systems. I have been reading that many UW photographers are using the camera in Full time servo AF mode with continuous tracking of the subject.
I read the thick manual several times and tried with different settings in different dives however could not find out the optimum setup for continuous AF tracking while shooting macro. In my experience the auto tracking system not always locked on the eye but to some other parts of the fish.
There are several sub-settings of focus tracking such as single point, dynamic area(9, 25, 72, 153 points), 3d and group AF.
Some of these choices also have some sub-settings. For instance 3d has normal and wide etc.
I would appreciate to hear the autofocus setup other users of D850 are using while shooting moving macro objects like anemone fish.(not supermacro which is a totally different issue)
Best regards
Mehmet
