Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus 12-45 F4 suitable for UW photograhy?

Started by Dutch_Diver ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus 12-45 F4 suitable for UW photograhy?

25 posts
  1. On the 12-50, I think you can assign a button function to go close-up. I am not sure about the extreme close-up. If you go to menu and select the fish icon and assign it to a button it will zoom in from wide to tele, once activated. It seems to focus about 12 inches.

    Edited by tobyone
  2. That is correct, but you can’t access the true macro range without the physical switch on the lens barrel, which is why the dedicated Nauticam port and gear are so complicated. 

  3. If you don't have the Nauticam dedicated port available then the the magnification of the 12-50 is quite low and the 12-40 lens does better.  Even with the switch activated it's only 0.36x, while the 12-40 achieves 0.3x and the 12-45 gets 0.25x.

    You can use wet lenses on the 12-50 of course but the CMC-1 only gets to 0.8x at the unusable working distance of 14mm  on the Nauticam flat port.  The working distance is better with  the Nauticam 4"dome and their special flip holder.  But probably irrelevant for AOI housings.

    I couldn't find the max magnification for the 12-50 without flipping the macro switch but I expect it's probably similar to the 12-45 lens and the 12-45 behind a 4"dome is probably more versatile than the 12-50 behind a flat port and is certainly a sharper lens on land.  You only miss out on using wet lenses with that solution. 

  4. 19 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    Uhm I think you are the one missing the point

    I can't believe I'm arguing with a stranger on the internet about what exactly the premise was of my own post.  The point is that people who already own a dome for the 8mm but who want to shoot the 12-45 underwater may not need to buy a second dome.  My test shots lie about halfway between shooting a grid and shooting in the real world; lines seem straight and text is crisp and legible right out to the edges.  Other's results may vary, but I'm perfectly happy shooting this combo vs. buying (and traveling) with a dome designed for mediocre 1st generation M43 zooms like the 14-42 and 9-18.  To my knowledge, nobody is making a dome specifically for the 12-45, so anything out there is a compromise.

    Edited by Wapiti
  5. I can't believe I'm arguing with a stranger on the internet about what exactly the premise was of my own post.  The point is that people who already own a dome for the 8mm but who want to shoot the 12-45 underwater may not need to buy a second dome.  My test shots lie about halfway between shooting a grid and shooting in the real world; lines seem straight and text is crisp and legible right out to the edges.  Other's results may vary, but I'm perfectly happy shooting this combo vs. buying (and traveling) with a dome designed for mediocre 1st generation M43 zooms like the 14-42 and 9-18.  To my knowledge, nobody is making a dome specifically for the 12-45, so anything out there is a compromise.

    The grid will show if you have distortion or not
    If you have distortion you will loose field of view negating the effect of the dome
    It is the best method to check the dome position is correct
    Another method is to keep the camera fixed before you fill the tank with water this requires more gear of course
    A dome works if it preserves the field of view otherwise you are wasting your time it is not just about the picture being sharp
    However if you want to ignore the suggestions and go down on your path feel free to do so. You may experience that your wide lens is not as wide as you thought.
    In general terms lenses never offer the nominal field of view underwater because that is measured at infinity while the focus distance of a dome is much closer therefore your starting point is less than the 84 degrees it should be at the outset with this lens and you want to make sure you are not deteriorating it further
    Well at least I would want that!
    Good luck


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.