Hi guys!
I am totally new to this forum. I tried to find a thread treating my issue but haven't found one, so I decided to start a new topic.
I have been using Oly MFT (since 2011 OM-D M5, since 2016 OM-D M1MII) for years and I was quite happy with it, especially with its packed-size and "travellability"!
Nonetheless, I started to look around for another (better) solution and rented a Sony A7 IV for 1 week on a dive-trip in the mediterranean sea - the result KNOCKED ME OFF!!! I am sure all of you guys already using a FF mirrorless can only laugh of me :-)
So, I took the decision to upgrade my gear to a fullframe, mirrorless cam and started searching different options. I am currently struggling between the 3 models:
NIKON Z7
SONY A7R IV
SONY A7R III
I wonder if anyone of you could give me a clue why I should prefer the A7R III or Nikon to the A7 IV (except the additional price-step to take and the higher noise)...! :-)
For those of you who'd like to read some pros and cons about the 3 candidates, just read on.
For those of you who can give me a hint, feel free to scroll down and type your answer - THANKS!!
I've read several forums and comparisons about advantages and disadvantages, some of which I'd like to share with you!
Nikon Z7
I have had "hands-on" in a camera-shop. Good "look and feel"-feeling, but nothing really better than the SONY.
+ proven manufacturer
+ high-quality products
+ sensor quality
+ quick cardslots (XQD)
+ menu-structure a bit more well-thought than the Sony (not necessarily from my personal point of view, though)
+ quite a fair price
- currently only a few lenses available (except F-mounts with adapter)
- generally one or two steps behind in developing mirrorless cams
- "only" 1 cardslot (although I cannot imagine this really being an issue in everyday use...)
Sony A7R IV
I was able to do a 1-week-live-testing with a rented equip. and I was absolutely convinced of this baby! :-)
+ successfully selling and developing mirrorless fullframes since 2013
+ incredibly high pxl: 61MP
+ rocket-fast autofocus (provided using a GM-lens)
+ picture quality
+ highest resolution of viewfinder (5.6 MP vs 3.6 MP on the Z7 and A7R III)
+ very wide variety / choice of lenses (all possible lengths, types and price-segments)
- due to the very high density of pxls on the sensor (50% more pxls on the same area 36x24mms), slightly more noise
- ... and maybe some erratic colors (I haven't been able to confirm this issue => anyone an idea?)
- the cardslots are not working very quickly, despite the fact that both slots are UHS-II SDXC
- Sony is not very known (as far as I know) as a manufacturer in the PHOTO-segment (more in the movie industry)
Sony A7R III
I have not yet been able to see it live, but I was told that for my purposes, it would serve almost as well as the A7R IV with some compromises. However, its price is remarkably lower...
Compared to the A7R IV:
+ remarkably less pricey
+ noise and color accuracy are told to be a bit better => can anyone confirm this??
- less resolution (42MP vs 61MP)
- viewfinder less resolution (3.8 MP vs 5.6 MP)
- slower autofocus
Thanks for reading, folks!!