Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

GH5 AF Lock strange behaviour

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

GH5 AF Lock strange behaviour

11 posts
  1. Hi all,

    I switched my AF setting to AF Lock ON and AF Lock Hold ON as I've always done for WA shots. 

    It doesn't work. I thought it was a problem of my Nauticam housing lever because on my hand the camera works flawlessly: I'm in AFS and a single press of the AF Lock button focuses the subject and lock the focus.

    Actually I discovered that it doesn't work when I plug the hdmi cable and I turn on the external monitor... I press the button, I see AFL on the display but the camera doesn't focuses. 

    The strange thing is that the setting I normally use for macro works (AF-Lock: AF-ON).

    Could it be the notorius HDMI cable?

  2. Hi Davide,

    can confirm it’s as soon as the HDMI is active. How strange!

  3. Hence it is not the cable or the ext. monitor.

    Could it be a GH5 bug?

    It's strange nobody discovered it. I thought that AF Lock setting was the most common. I used it since GH2 but this is my first external monitor.

    Could someone else confirm it?

    Thanks

  4. I found this thread here: 

    View archived post in: GH5 focus issue with external monitor

     

    I even found several posts on the net for the same problem. No solution ATM.

    One guy wrote that the problem happened only with 8bit recordings. I tried with 8biut/10 bit and even 1080p with no luck.

     

  5. I'll dig out some more HDMI cables and my GH5 / Inferno and have a further look

  6. On 10/31/2020 at 10:00 PM, Davide DB said:

    Hi all,

    I switched my AF setting to AF Lock ON and AF Lock Hold ON as I've always done for WA shots. 

    It doesn't work. I thought it was a problem of my Nauticam housing lever because on my hand the camera works flawlessly: I'm in AFS and a single press of the AF Lock button focuses the subject and lock the focus.

    Actually I discovered that it doesn't work when I plug the hdmi cable and I turn on the external monitor... I press the button, I see AFL on the display but the camera doesn't focuses. 

    The strange thing is that the setting I normally use for macro works (AF-Lock: AF-ON).

    Could it be the notorius HDMI cable?

    I think you are making confusion. AF lock means lock the focus as is it does not mean refocus. For that you need to put the control to AF-ON and in that case Lock Hold is greyed out

    If you want to lock focus while in AFS to what was at the beginning of the shot you need to set continuous focus to off nothing else is required.

    However the best practice if you want to work with manual focus and refocus during the shot is to set the camera in manual focus and use AF On

    By the way the camera works fine monitor or not when i press AF lock it stops the autofocus but does not refocus because that is not what the control is for

  7. why do I have to take an unsolicited lesson every time?
    Is it possible to have some respect for the competence of others?
    For once, just once, could you at least try to understand people's posts? TX NO RX

    That said, I'm taking a break from WetPixel (and also the first yellow card after 10 years).
    See you when the forum will be a place of exchange again and not of monologues.

  8. Officially this problem does not exist for WP.

    P.S.

    The only way to use AF-Lock with an external monitor is configuring it like on macro work: AF-Lock: AF-ON. But you are forced to keep pressing the AF-Lock button until focus is acquired.

    All other AF-LOCK configuration are broken once you plug an external monitor (I tried even with my PC monìtor). A subtle but nasty bug never solved by Panasonic. 

     

     

  9. Officially this problem does not exist for WP.
    P.S.
    The only way to use AF-Lock with an external monitor is configuring it like on macro work: AF-Lock: AF-ON. But you are forced to keep pressing the AF-Lock button until focus is acquired.
    All other AF-LOCK configuration are broken once you plug an external monitor (I tried even with my PC monìtor). A subtle but nasty bug never solved by Panasonic. 
     
     
    Set "Continuous AF" to OFF
    The AF/AE Lock settings to AF ON (like you mentioned)
    After pressing the AF Lock and focusing, the focus is actually locked, without keeping the button pressed.
    Altough no "AFL" and no "green dot" are shown on the screen.
    This could work, i guess.

    globaldivemedia.com

  10. 4 minutes ago, benedika said:

    Set "Continuous AF" to OFF
    The AF/AE Lock settings to AF ON (like you mentioned)
    After pressing the AF Lock and focusing, the focus is actually locked, without keeping the button pressed.
    Altough no "AFL" and no "green dot" are shown on the screen.
    This could work, i guess.

    globaldivemedia.com
     

    Yes, ATM I haven't my camera here. As far I remember the green dot appear only when the focus is acquired and you keep pressing the button.

    This is the way people doing macro use it because this conf. works in manual focus too:

    - You set the camera in MF.

    - You get the basic focus via AF

    - You nail the desired focus via the port focus knob.

    For WA shots the other method was my preferred one since GH2 before having an ext monitor.

    Bye and compliments for your videos!

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.