On 11/21/2020 at 6:30 AM, Chris Kippax said:
Hi All
I hope you are well and getting some diving in!
I Had a test out in the pool with the Canon 8-15mm and kenko 1.4 TC on a full frame camera. I was a bit concerned the image quality would be rubbish.
For my level of photography the image quality seems ok and I am looking forward to getting it in the ocean.
I have some Nudibranch shots in mind at my local site , so hopefully I can bring those ideas to fruition.
Finding any info on this exact setup is not easy, if anyone else has some pertinent info to share please do.
I hope to update this thread with some shots when the water clarity allows.
Interesting report. For FF sensor the 2x TC would be the optimum for best angles of view (a real competition for the expensive, big and heavy WACPs). Did you try out the 2x TC?
I get very good optical results with Kenko 1.4x TC, Canon 8-15mm and Nauticam 140 (also Zen DP170) with small MFT sensor (EM1II and EM5II). IQ is, more or less, as good as without the TC, but AF becomes quite slow and is not so reliable any more. In addition, without TC the 8-15mm provides already the optimum AOVs for the small sensor...
Just to test the potential for FF (I am planning to upgrade), I purchased the Kenko 2x TC and tested it out over the water (with MFT; of course the 2x TC does not make sense with the small sensor): the result was discouraging: very soft images, even in the center...
Wolfgang