Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

WWL-1 for FF

Started by waterpixel ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

WWL-1 for FF

4 posts
  1. Hi,

    (Pre-clear : I'm aware that WACP is the most suitable solution for Wide Angle wet lenses on Full frame cameras)

    Is there any reason on having a WWL-1 for Full frame though? I see on Nauticam's port charts that it lists compatibility for Sony A7 system. Most of the reviews i've read on the WWL-1 cover smaller sensor sizes so I'm keen on exploring this option.

    Is WWL-1 on a FF still sharp on the corners and does it let as such stop up to higher apertures?

    I've used the search function here, so apologies if I missed an already existing thread here..

     

    Thank you and Happy new year!

  2. There is this post: 

    View archived post in: Wetpixel Live: Water Contact Optics Review

    mentions that it is sharp on the full frame cameras. 

    I don't know why Nauticam don't list more options for full frame on other cameras with the WWL-1 it appears it works quite well if you meet the requirements of the WWL-1 which include the following:

    • 28mm full frame equivalent focal length
    • Lens that zooms without excessive change in length - to avoid vignetting at wide end
    • Entrance pupil limitation - this appears to be a f3.4 -4 maximum aperture for the lens at the wide end.
    • suitable flat port for the lens that has the port glass quite close to front element - again to avoid vignetting
    • focus close enough to work with the WWL.

    This mostly seems to be found in older kit style 28-70 and 28-80 zoom lenses.  I can't see any reason these lenses wouldn't work with the WWL-1 but you would need to try them yourself and it could be an expensive experiment. 

  3. Thank you Chris, this is very helpful!

  4. Regarding Chris's points above, the WWL-1 works very well with Sony full frame cameras and the Sony FE 28mm which is an F/2 lens, It also works very well with Sony high res full frame like the Sony A7r III and R IV cameras, see my uwpmag.com WWL-1 review in back issue #114. Currently WWL-1 only works with Sony full frame cameras or with the Sony lenses adapted to Nikon-Z cameras. The new Sony FE 28-60mm now adds a very useful zoom range (130-68 AOV)  to full frame with WWL-1. The 28-60 zoom also works with both WWL-1 or WACP, it also works with CMC-1&2 closeup lenses rather than the more expensive SMC 1&2. I will be doing a review of the new Sony FE 28-60mm zoom when the port and gear become available in my area.

    The reason that WWL-1 seems to work so well with the two Sony lenses is the small diameter of the optical glass in both lenses and the short zoom through range of the 28-60 lens.

    Regarding the WWL-1 working with other FF cameras brands  I am sure Nauticam has had plenty of time to test other lens brands with WWL-1 just like they have with WACP. If WWL-1 worked on FF with a Canon or Nikon FF lens I think we would know about it by now.

    On another note the Nauticam housing for the Sony A7c should be introduced this month. You can see the first image of the rear of the housing in a Nauticam advertisement in the current issue of UWPMAG.com. The housing appears very close to the size of the Nauticam Sony A6600 housing.     

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.