Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

CMC / housing compatibility

Started by mark kirkland ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

CMC / housing compatibility

4 posts
  1. Hi everyone, 

    Anyone know how the CMC performs on housings other than Nauticam? I know they're designed for use on Nauticam housings. 

    The reason I ask is because I'm currently piecing together a D500 setup and looking at housing options. I've bought the Nikon 60mm and intended to use one of the CMC's on a flip mount as this is the macro setup that people continually recommend for fantastic image quality. I had planned on going for the Nauticam housing however I'm working to a budget so was trying to source one used (hint hint ..... if you have one to sell PM me), but may need to look at a cheaper housing. 

    Thanks!
    Mark

  2. There are two requirements for the CMC and any other wet diopters to work - an M67 thread to allow the lens or a bayonet mount to be threaded on and a port that is the right length to place the lens close enough to the port glass for the optics to work.  This is the case for many housing /port systems .

    This post talks about performance of the close up lenses and may be of interest: 

    View archived post in: Wetpixel Live: Macro Close Up Lenses

     

  3. 15 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

    There are two requirements for the CMC and any other wet diopters to work - an M67 thread to allow the lens or a bayonet mount to be threaded on and a port that is the right length to place the lens close enough to the port glass for the optics to work.  This is the case for many housing /port systems .

    This post talks about performance of the close up lenses and may be of interest: 

    View archived post in: Wetpixel Live: Macro Close Up Lenses

     

    Many thanks Chris, I did a quick search and somehow missed that thread. Looks like my question might be answered in there! I understand the point about threading, it's mainly how distance changes with each port option affects the actual optical quality as I know Nauticam are all designed very specifically with Nauticam ports and housings in mind. I wouldn't want to fork out for a setup that compromises things. 

    Anyway, I'll have a read through that thread and watch the videos. Thanks again!

  4. I currently use Inon UCL-67, UCL-90, CMC and SMC on Seacam housings without any optical issues.

    I have also used SubSea, FIT, Scubacam, Moby and probably a few more that escape my memory currently!

    Flips are more challenging however, as they need a locating pin to stop them revolving in use. SAGA produce macro ports for most housings that have this feature. Personally, I don't like flips, so this isn't really an issue...

    As long as the housing/port/lens combination is correct, there is no problem using third-party wet macro close up lenses.

    Not an issue that should affect your decision on housing choice...

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.