I recently tried a friend’s Sony A6000 (after I got water in my LX10 housing) and realized I liked the A6000 a WHOLE LOT BETTER.
Now I want to sell the LX10 and Nauticam housing and get something new. I can use advice.
I liked the A6000 better for these reasons:
- The autofocus was SO much easier to use, it was like a revelation. I really had to futz with back button autofocus for the LX10, and THEN futz a lot with the half-trigger focus. The Sony autofocused quickly and easily with just the half-trigger.
- My friend had a Sea & Sea housing for the A6000, and it was a lot lighter than my Nauticam for my LX10. I couldn’t believe how heavy and unwieldy my rig was in comparison! I was able to take photos with one hand for the first time ever. I also found it a lot easier to maneuver into tight spots and to get low and tight and angle up for wide angle. I also did a lot more vertical shots because it was so much easier to set that up.
- The Sea & Sea housing had ball mounts right on top of the housing. (I have a tray with arms with ballmounts on my LX10 housing). I was able to put my arms and strobes (YS-D2Js) right on the top of the Sea & Sea housing and had a much easier time seeing around the rig. (It had no tray and no arms—so it was just the housing and the strobes. It had a small hand strap on one side.)
- I found the aperture control to be much easier on the Sea & Sea (I could use my thumb without moving anything else) than on my Nauticam (aperture control is on front of housing).
- The trigger pull on the A6000 operated the way I’d hoped a trigger pull would operate. Even with the trigger release extention on the Nauticam, I found it difficult to pull the trigger. I sometimes had shake as a result.
- I just got a CMC-1 lens after using the CMC-2 lens for a few years. I was getting it to work well with the LX-10, but my friend had a 30mm lens on his camera, and I was able to stack my CMC-1 on it. I had a much easier time getting it to focus for macro.
- I have an Inon UWL-H100 lens with a dome lens unit II, and it has produced a weird hair-like shadow on at least half my wide angle shots since the day I got it. The hair-like shadow never appears in the same place. Does anyone know what causes that, or if it was a flaw in the lens from the get-go? (I am certain there is no debris on the lens itself, and it doesn’t only happen when I’m shooting towards the sun.) I’ve had a few cruise directors/photographers on liveaboards take a look at it, and no one has been able to figure out why it’s doing that.
I figured the logical place to start researching were upgrades to the A6000. I’ve landed on the A6400 as my jumping-off point. I have a few concerns:
- It appears Sea & Sea no longer offers a housing for this line of Sonys.
- The 16x9 LCD screen throws me for a bit of a loop—I’m not sure I like that idea.
- I’m wondering if the fact that it only synchs up to shutter speeds of 1/160 is a drawback.
- I’m wondering if 24 MP will be too limiting. All I do now is post pictures to Facebook and Instagram, but I would REALLY like to get something that I won’t find too limiting in another few years.
- I originally got the LX10 because I was coming off a GoPro and thought video would always be my first love. I’m still working on getting fully competent on manual shooting of stills, but I do know I want to go back to video at some point.
Can any of you comment on those concerns?
If I should look somewhere beyond the A6400, would you steer me in the right direction? Note well: my neighbor works for Nikon and can get me his discounts on their cameras.