Hi! So... at this time last year I bought a Sea&Sea rig for my Nikon Z6. Immediately thereafter the pandemic happened, which means the rig is almost unused (by me, I bought it used). I have since bought a Z7. I have also just booked a trip to the Red Sea this autumn, and I'm not listening to messages saying it might not be possible to travel then.
I still have about eight months to go before the trip, but this night I dreamed about what lenses to bring, so since my brain has already started thinking about it I'm asking for advice. The trip is mainly about Brothers, Daedalus and Elphinstone, meaning wall dives, generally with current and hoping for sharks. I have the lenses and ports I have; I'm not likely to be able to afford anything more, but nor should that be necessary.
What I have:
Nikon 14-30/4 S, with Sea&Sea correction lens, to be used with a Zen 230 mm glass dome. I guess this would be the default lens for the entire trip.
Sigma 15/2.8 fisheye, behind the same 230 mm dome, manual focus only. Could be fun to try, but could also be too wide for skittish sharks and manual focus could be difficult. I have not had an opportunity to try this lens when diving.
Nikon 24-70/4 S, also behind the 230 mm dome. Normally I would expect you to say "meh" about this lens, but what about the sharks tho? An oceanic whitetip may come close enough for the 14-30. Other sharks, probably not. On the other hand I'm not expecting to photograph sharks with good quality at very long range.
Nikon 60/2.8 macro on FTZ adapter. When I tried it in Swedish water I thought it was difficult to use as macro, because of the short working distance. But I figure that on this trip it could work as decent macro and also for fish portraits. Possibly sharks but not always the whole shark.
Nikon 105/2.8 macro on FTZ adapter. In Swedish waters with no current I liked this for macro work (of course). I'm more skeptical for this trip. The currents I expect probably make close macro work quite difficult. For more distant, larger subjects it could work but probably not better than the 60 mm macro.
And why not bring them all? Because of space and weight. More than one of the macros seems excessive. For the three lenses using the same dome motivating bringing more than one is easier.
So, what do you say?