Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

APSC: Canon 8-15mm fisheye + Kenko 1.4 TC vs Tokina 10-17 dx

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

APSC: Canon 8-15mm fisheye + Kenko 1.4 TC vs Tokina 10-17 dx

5 posts
  1. I already have the canon fisheye it is a superb lens and I use it currently for my GH5 as zoom fisheye.

    I  have been considering APSC and I would prefer to avoid to buy a new lens. I already have the Nauticam 140mm glass dome so I was thinking of using the Kenko TC that will give me a fisheye zoom of 11.2-21mm range which is very interesting.

    I know that TC deteriorate to an extent image quality however I think the Canon 8-15mm with the kenko may still be a better optic than the tokina which is after all a mediocre lens.

    I wonder if anyone has experience comparing those on any format / crop?

  2. On APSC surely the 8-15 full frame lens will give the equivalent of  11-21 zoom fisheye without a TC? So almost equivalent to the Tokina on APSC. I compared both at f16 in a camera shop and couldn't see any difference. 

  3. 30 minutes ago, PeteAtkinson said:

    On APSC surely the 8-15 full frame lens will give the equivalent of  11-21 zoom fisheye without a TC? So almost equivalent to the Tokina on APSC. I compared both at f16 in a camera shop and couldn't see any difference. 

    Yes but I want something even narrower. In APSC the lens works 10-15mm giving 180 to 115 degrees. I am looking for something to go all the way to 80-90 degrees

  4. Hi Massimo,

    I have used the Kenko 1.4x (and also 2x) with Canon 8-15 and also can compare to Tokina 10-17mm on MFT:

    View archived post in: Canon 8-15, 140mm minidome and OMD-EM5II

    View archived post in: Canon 8-15mm and Tokina 10-17mm on OM-D EM5II

    The bottomline is:

    #1.: The 1.4x TC has little effect on IQ of the Canon 8-15mm, but has noticeable effect on IQ with Tokina.

    #2.: AF becomes slower, especially when there is not much light (EM1II).

    #3.: UW IQ of Canon 8-15mm and Tokina 10-17mm (1x and with 0.71x speedbooster) is comparable. I find this very surprising, since the Tokina is such a bad lens on the surface (see.: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4299636)

    #4.: On land, out of curiosity since I thought the 2x TC would be fantastic for a future FF camera, I tested the Canon 8-15mm with 2x TC. AF was very slow and unreliable and IQ bad (unsharp and soft). Tue to the unreliable AF the focus distance in the example below is behind the children, but even there the image is soft. I rfrained from testing the 2x TC UW:

    P7051600.thumb.jpg.ee75a0420b4d0e8483a6e3e0deaf3e30.jpg

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  5. 4 minutes ago, Architeuthis said:

    Hi Massimo,

    I have used the Kenko 1.4x (and also 2x) with Canon 8-15 and also can compare to Tokina 10-17mm on MFT:

    View archived post in: Canon 8-15, 140mm minidome and OMD-EM5II

    View archived post in: Canon 8-15mm and Tokina 10-17mm on OM-D EM5II

    The bottomline is:

    #1.: The 1.4x TC has little effect on IQ of the Canon 8-15mm, but has noticeable effect on IQ with Tokina.

    #2.: AF becomes slower, especially when there is not much light (EM1II).

    #3.: UW IQ of Canon 8-15mm and Tokina 10-17mm (1x and with 0.71x speedbooster) is comparable. I find this very surprising, since the Tokina is such a bad lens on the surface (see.: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4299636)

    #4.: On land, out of curiosity since I thought the 2x TC would be fantastic for a future FF camera, I tested the Canon 8-15mm with 2x TC. AF was very slow and unreliable and IQ bad (unsharp and soft). Tue to the unreliable AF the focus distance in the example below is behind the children, but even there the image is soft. I rfrained from testing the 2x TC UW:

    P7051600.thumb.jpg.ee75a0420b4d0e8483a6e3e0deaf3e30.jpg

    Wolfgang

    So TC 1.4X no effect you can see on the 8-15mm when using an MFT camera which is further cropped but this is at least promising!

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.