Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Leak Detector

Started by llenahan ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Leak Detector

7 posts
  1. I have a Subal ND3 and am considering adding a leak detector.

     

    I contacted Backscatter and Russ suggested their manual AirLock model.  He said that given that it contains no electronics, there is little to go wrong.  I have always received good information from Backscatter and respect their opinion.  Their AirLock does seem rather large and bulky.

     

    Reviewing Wetpixel, there have been good things written about Leak Sentinel.  I contacted the company and they replied within hours and recommended the V5 XB.  It seems more compact and has received generally favorable recommendations.

    Any other products to consider?

     

    Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?

     

     

    Lee

  2. If you are adding it to a housing, the leak sentinel seems the best option to me as it is self contained.  With manual systems you are just reading a pressure gauge and fundamentally it takes a bigger shift in pressure before you can actually detect that with a pressure gauge and you have to remember what vacuum you started with.

    See here:  Tim uses the Vivid on his Subal housing.  The remote battery option discussed is not listed on the website it seems. 

    View archived post in: Vivid Leak Sentinel vacuum valves

     

  3. Hi Lee

    As Chris says, I use the Vivid V5 XB on a Subal ND500 - I had it on the ND800 too - and am big fan. I started with, I think, the V2 and Vivid are now up to the V5.

    The V5 XB separates out the battery and electronics from the actual valve. This results in a neater, shorter valve which leads through the bulkhead to a cable and then the PCB with the electronics and battery. On my system the PCB is installed above the hot shoe - stuck (gently) to the housing roof with double-sided tape. 

    The latest version of the V5 XB is now much neater than the pic Chris attached. Wires are shorter, easier to fit in the housing and just a much more polished product. Vivid have updated the the Sentinel continuously over the last few years and each iteration has brought significant improvements.  As you have experienced, support from Vivid is excellent.

    I've no experience of the AirLock but have no hesitation in recommending the Vivid.

    I'd attach a photo showing the latest V5 XB in my system but, errrr, its vacuumed up and sitting waiting to go diving tomorrow morning! I'll try and post a pic tomorrow night.

  4. Chris and Tim...

    Many thanks.

     

    Lee

  5. 2 dives later.....

    Here's view inside the housing with the latest version of the V5 XB electronics

     

    Vivid XB electronics.jpg

  6. Quick question.   I installed the Leak Sentinel in my ND3 Subal Housing.  Pumped air out, Red light turned to Green and worked fine.

    How do I release the vacuum? Looking at the videos on line, removal of the cap seemed to break the vacuum.

    Removed the cap to the Sentinel and nothing much happened.  Unscrewed the sensor portion out of the hosing and the vacuum was released; however, it managed to twist the wires several revolutions.  Is there a simpler method for releasing the vacuum?

     

    What am I missing?


    Thank you.

     

    L

  7. You need to pull on the soft white button, the one that you push to turn it on and off. Just hook it with your finger and pull it sideways a little bit. It's part number 3 on this diagram from the manual:

    image.png.01e2548f763c76ae98f4574a2a5f8968.png

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.