Oly C-8080 Advice
Hi
Not posted here before, but recently been reading this forum and getting quite interested in UW photography - so want to get myself a camera + housing set up.
I already have a film SLR that i've used for some motorsport photography, so i'm looking to replace this with a set up that I can use for sports as well as UW. Reading this and other forums I see the Olympus C-5060/PT-020 is an excellent UW set up, but i'm not sure how suitable it is for sports photography, so I started looking at the C-8080/PT-023 - Does anyone have any experience with this camera and housing, Ive heard different reviews of it - some excellent, and some not so good. In particular have heard its not so good at focusing in low light, and that it has a noisy CCD (although magazine and website reviews ive seen seem to say the opposite). Are these true, and how would they affect its use underwater - I would initially just be shooting using the internal flash only as I have a budget of about £700UKP for camera and housing (the 8080/PT-023 package comes in just under this), so a strobe would have to wait a year or so until I get used to the camera. I know its a bulky set up comared to the C-5060 but i'm not too bothered by that as I dont travel much
Not really relevant to these forums and a bit of a long shot, but does anyone have experience of the C-8080 with sports photography? I've heard that its not the best, as it can be slow focusing on AF (which would be a major disadvantage for motorsport if true), and doesnt have the longest zooms, although I would get a teleconverter to increase this, and the 8MP instread of 5 would allow me to crop images slightly to further increase zoom. I've ruled out other cameras that would probably be better for sports photography such as the Konica-Minolta A2, Nikon Coolpix 8700 and Canon Pro1 as it seems only ikelite housings are available for them, and my budget doesnt stretch to £500+UKP for housing only! If anyone knows if I can get a housing for one of these, or similar camera, for closer to the price of the PT-023 then please let me know! Would consider second-hand.
Also, I'm not in a rush to buy before christmas and would probably wait until around February so does anyone know of any new cameras rumoured to be released in the next few months that would be suitable and within my budget? Such as a new olympus as it seems its only them that make affordable housings for their prosumer type cameras.
Thanks,
James