Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Leaking Nauticam housing

Started by tobbe1 ·

  • 30Posts
  • 30Replies

Read-only discussion

Leaking Nauticam housing

30 posts
  1. 3 hours ago, tobbe1 said:

    You’re probably right, I will check with my dealer how long it would take before I decide to buy a new one.

     

    Where are you located? In the US you don't need to go through a dealer. You can send it directly to a Nauticam service center. I think I used Reef Photo the last time I serviced my Nauticam. Compared to the cost of even a used Nuaticam, it's a good deal. I serviced a NA-D800 about 5 years ago and it was $320 labor + $180 parts. I then sold that housing 2 years ago for $1300.

    Lots of leaks might be user error, but I've had small drips and drop coming through controls in the past. Most often the shutter. Wear on the o-rings will eventually result in a leak, even with good attention to proper cleaning.

    Edited by davehicks
  2. 22 minutes ago, davehicks said:

    Lots of leaks might be user error, but I've had small drips and drop coming through controls in the past. Most often the shutter. Wear on the o-rings will eventually result in a leak, even with good attention to proper cleaning.

    The report on this housing is that a certain depth the leak starts and it is quite rapid - just doesn't feel like this is a button o-ring issue, which as you say often starts with drips as the o-rings wear.

  3. 19 hours ago, r4e said:

    Just a comment on your disclaimer: most of the internal (hidden) O-rings of Nauticam housings are grey, not black. E.g. the O-rings of all the push button axles and rotary axles are grey. 

    I have no information of whether the oil you suggest, is compatible or not with any of the O-rings. Although O-rings generally speaking are very strong, I have seen cracked, clipped, torn and softened O-rings as a result of extreme weather, misuse, chemical misuse, and wear/tear.

    OOPS my bad,

     

    But yes the oil is compatible as I have been using it for over 5 years now.

     

    thanks for the info and correction 

  4. 7 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    Both the extension and it's o-ring are new I would assume and just because it's new doesn't rule things out - it's always possible something slipped through QC.  Davide's point on a bad o-ring could be the issue - inspect that one closely and compare it to o-ring on the port.  If you have a micrometer or calipers, measure the diameter (cross -section) of both of the o-rings at several points around the o-ring.  Try not to mix them up - you may want to do comparison tests later.

    You could for example run tests on a rope at depth with the current setup and o-rings.  Then with a new spare port o-ring, then with the housing and and port without the extension.  You would need to keep track of which o-ring is which to avoid confusion. 

     

    I can report a case with a new Nauticam extension/adapter (SKU # 36064): I ordered it new and after the first dive few drops of water came in via the opening of the locking mechanism. I assume the extension was lying around in the shop for long and the O-ring became dry and rigid. I solved the problem with a drop of this fluid: https://www.unterwasserkamera.at/shop/catalog/en/product_info.php?info=p6154_d-d-top-secret-o-ring-fluid.html

    Every year I treat all concealed O-rings via the opings of our housings with this fluid and there was never a water entry. I can also say that some controls of the housings, that were purchased second hand, ran noticable smoother after the first treatment...

    I agree that it would be better to remove the O-rings and grease them with original Nauticam lubricant (and replace O-rings, when worn out), but so far I was reluctant to do this substantial amount of work, hopefully I will never regret this...

    Regarding the problem of tobbe1, I would not risk another flooding by continuing to dive: the leakage has to be located (with paper towels as already suggested), the entire mechanism removed and the O-rings replaced. It is very likely a worn out O-ring that sometimes seals, sometimes not (unless it is a strange user error, impossible to diagnose this from remote)...

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  5. 7 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

     I solved the problem with a drop of this fluid: https://www.unterwasserkamera.at/shop/catalog/en/product_info.php?info=p6154_d-d-top-secret-o-ring-fluid.html

    Every year I treat all concealed O-rings via the opings of our housings with this fluid and there was never a water entry. I can also say that some controls of the housings, that were purchased second hand, ran noticable smoother after the first treatment...

    Interesting. 

    It would be nice knowing which kind of lubricant is it. They say it's not silicone and it's fluid...

    Edited by Davide DB
  6. 16 hours ago, davehicks said:

    Where are you located? In the US you don't need to go through a dealer. You can send it directly to a Nauticam service center. I think I used Reef Photo the last time I serviced my Nauticam. Compared to the cost of even a used Nuaticam, it's a good deal. I serviced a NA-D800 about 5 years ago and it was $320 labor + $180 parts. I then sold that housing 2 years ago for $1300.

    Lots of leaks might be user error, but I've had small drips and drop coming through controls in the past. Most often the shutter. Wear on the o-rings will eventually result in a leak, even with good attention to proper cleaning.

    As some of you already suggested I decided to send it for overhaul. If I still have problems after that I will switch extension ring and test with my larger dome port.

    Thanks for your feedback!

  7. When the housing returns, do not forget to dive without camera first. 
    That’s critical for validation of the other elements you did not sent for service. 

  8. 6 hours ago, tobbe1 said:

    As some of you already suggested I decided to send it for overhaul. If I still have problems after that I will switch extension ring and test with my larger dome port.

    Thanks for your feedback!

    OK good, do you have the option of having them test the extension ring/port for you?

  9. 6 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    OK good, do you have the option of having them test the extension ring/port for you?

    Yes, I will send the whole setup including adapter, extension ring and dome.

    Edited by tobbe1
  10. On 3/24/2021 at 7:10 AM, tobbe1 said:

    Yes, I will send the whole setup including adapter, extension ring and dome.

     

    So how did it all turn out?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.