Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus 9-18mm VS Lumix 7-14mm

Started by spudgun ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus 9-18mm VS Lumix 7-14mm

11 posts
  1. Hello fellow artists.
    So......I have the Olympus 9-18mm which I actaully love. Of course, it's not the Olympus pro but, hey ho. NOW.......on a Lumix G9 camera, would you swap it for a Panasonic Lumix 7-14mm or stick with the Olympus?

  2. 1 hour ago, spudgun said:

    Hello fellow artists.
    So......I have the Olympus 9-18mm which I actaully love. Of course, it's not the Olympus pro but, hey ho. NOW.......on a Lumix G9 camera, would you swap it for a Panasonic Lumix 7-14mm or stick with the Olympus?

    What do you want to shoot with it and which dome do you have, assuming you want to re-use the dome?

     

  3. If you want to change, the 8-18mm is probably a better candidate.

  4. I have the Pana 7-14mm and my wife the Zuiko 9-18mm. We both use it behind Zen DP-170. 7mm is already so wide that the corners are not good with the 170mm dome (the DP200 is recommended for 7mm; Zen DP170 and Nauticam180 are too small. ). 9mm is better (Very similar IQ to the 7-14mm @9mm) and you can zoom out to 18mm, instead to 14mm only. Probably the Pana 8-18mm is the optimum in case you want to buy a new lens (for this lens you need the Nauticam 180 domeport), but the Zuiko 9-18mm is already very good (and goes with both Zen DP170 and Nauticam180); I would stay with 9-18mm and use the Zuiko 8mm fisheye for real very wide angle...

     

    Wolfgang

     

    Edited by Architeuthis
  5. Thank you, Wolfgang.
    This helps immensely. I use IKELITE housing, and either lens will fit in that with the Lumix G9.

    Best wishes.
    Spud

  6. 10 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    What do you want to shoot with it and which dome do you have, assuming you want to re-use the dome?

     

    Hi Chris.
    Just general stuff, reef shots etc....obviously not macro. I know the 8-18mm is probably the more quality lens and the 8mm fish-eye is preferable to many who don't want the recilinear image but I actually like the little 9-18mm Olympus and am just trying to establish whether the 7-14mm is a step up in quality, especially given that I have a Lumix G9 camera inside an Ikelite Housing and large 8" Dome Port.

  7. I have the 7-14 and don't use it a lot, it is a little soft at 7mm.  I have the 8mm fisheye for reef scenics.  The 9-18 doesn't have a great reputation, but that might be because a lot of people use in rather small domes.  If you already have it - give it a try the 8"dome is a better size than the 170mm dome assuming it is using the right extensions.

  8. I use the Oly 9-18 as smaler solution if the Oly 7-14 with the 180 Dome is to bulky. I used it in Nauticam & Oly housing. And I like it still as the Smal solution. Works fine and it is even possible to make Splits.

    If you can wait, Olympus will release a 8-25 F4 this Year ...

    Edited by wedge
  9. I have a 7-14 on sale... :rolleyes:

  10. Where be that, buddy?

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.