I am doing a trip here soon to French Polynesia (Tahiti and Moorea) where I will be snorkeling quite a bit. My partner is going to be scuba diving some but I don't think they'll bring the camera with them. We're mostly going for relaxation but photography is a fun hobby for us both. I'm looking at scuba diving in the future but not right now. We decided this would be a great time to get into underwater photography because we've used a gopro before when we were at some nice islands in Thailand. We just found the photography aspect of that experience to be lacking.
I ended up buying a Seafrogs A9 housing. Part of me regrets this because I thought *maybe* I could get away without buying strobes for our first underwater photography journey - especially since we'll be focused on snorkeling depths/areas but now I'm seeing lots of shots and regretting not having strobes. It also wildly inflates the price from the $700 for the housing, standard port, and 6" dome port. I ended up seeing a Seafrogs SF-01 strobe on Amazon for $200 - so I bought it. It seems to be some kind of Sea & Sea clone - and I am hoping it's not as bad as the ST-100-PRO that I saw horrible reviews floating around for... It doesn't come with a sync cable - so I'm thinking of buying the cable or just returning my impulse buy of a flash. It also means that we need to get a tray ($60) and some arms ($???? Can't find these for reasonable prices anywhere - it's just some aluminum brackets) and maybe some floaties of some kind. (I'd like to figure out a homebrewed solution that is cheaper than buying special $XXX foam)
What are your thoughts? Would a single flash be sufficient for an enjoyable experience? Should I just buy the sync cord now and own it? At this point - it's like... I can either get a flash setup and it'll cost $200 for flash + $150 for cable + $60 for tray + $100 in arms/floats/brackets (insane how much this stupid stuff costs) + $70 in batteries(18650)/charger for a total of $580. If I find another SF-01 for $200 - that'd be a nice deal but unlikely.
What are your thoughts? I feel like I'm in such a bind with so little time. Worst case scenario - I can return the flash and just go on my trip-flashless and have some batteries I can use in a flashlight or something later. (Charger works for other things too)