Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

CP5000 Setting for underwater

Started by Reefkeep ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

CP5000 Setting for underwater

27 posts
  1. CP5000 Setting for underwater

     

    David, James & Marc,

     

    Let me know what you think about the below options for the cp 5000 with the 19 mm lens and a DS 125 corded.

     

    Exposure - Manual

    White Balance -Auto

    Metering- Matrix

    Image Adjustment -Auto

    Saturation Control

    Lens - Wide Adapter (19m)

    Exposure Options AE lock

    Focus Area Mode -Auto

    Image sharpening - Auto

    Noice Reduction - Off

    ISO - 100

    Zoom Options Fixed Aperture

     

    Speedlight Cntrl - Auto

    Speed Light Variable Power Opt. -2( this is not possible if the Lens option is set to Wide? Did you set yours lens to wide?

     

    SIze 2560 - Res Fine

  2. You managed to confuse me good. I anserwed this where you posted it under member galleries and couldn't figured where my post went.

  3. Sorry Dave, This is the new cheat sheet with your stuff added!

     

    Take II

     

    Exposure - M or A

    White Balance - Auto

    Metering- Center weighted or Spot

    Image Adjustment -Less Contrast

    Saturation Control (I would assume low)

    Lens - Normal

    Exposure Options AE lock

    Focus Area Mode = Manual (Need to look this one up)

    Image sharpening -Low

    Noice Reduction - Off

    ISO - 100

    Zoom Options Fixed Aperture

    Speedlight Cntrl - Auto

    Speed Light Variable Power Opt. -2

  4. OK I tested the cheat sheet worked really well!

  5. Looks good Chris. I see you picked up the "Lower the contrast" trick to cut down on blown highlights.

     

    RE the Focus Area Mode: That lets you select where you want the camera to autofocus. I usually tell it to focus in the middle brackets, but sometimes for CFWA and off center macro, you might want it to focus somewhere else (Like the bottom of the frame brackets).

     

    HTH

    James

  6. Oh, and one more:

     

    Shot Confirmation Lamp - Off

     

    J

  7. 1 more, what AF settings do you guys use? Have been using continuous, but getting tired of the shutter-lag...

     

    Edwin

  8. Get used to the shutter lag.

     

    Chris, looking good!!!

     

    I'm assuming you were using the wideangle lens for those shots. You need to remember that that lens has a lot of depth of field, but it's not infinite. You should shoot to get the foreground in focus and let the background blur - not the other way around - if you can help it. That will make the pictures much more appealing.

     

    Otherwise, those are great exposures! What strobe did you use? The addition of a smaller slave strobe will cut down on some of the harsh shadows, but then again, that costs more $$$.

     

    Did you take these in the Keys, or the Dry Tortugas? or across the street at Lauderdale?

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. Thanks for the Feedback!

    I used the DS 125 on TTL, I am looking at getting another DS 125 or maybe a DS 50. I took the shots in the Dry Tortugas on a liveaboard. I did use the wideangle lens and I'll admit I didn't spend a lot of time focusing on anything but exposure. I figured if I can get that down the rest would be easy. Anyway, I am going to spend 8 nights in Mexico doing nothing but still shots. I'll upload them when I get back or maybe from the cyber cafe accross the street from the hotel.

     

    I really like the DS 125 but wonder if I need another strobe that powerfull. What do you think? (I really need a rapid charger)

     

    I know you sold your cp5000 what are you getting, a Fuji or a Nikon DSLR?

  10. I have an S2 on order. They should be hitting customers Friday or Monday.

     

    I just sent back my friends S1 Pro which I have been borrowing. It wrocks.

     

    Cheers

    James

  11. The 5000 dosen't need powerfull strobes. The 125 would be better for wide angle in shallow bright water. The 50 should be fine in most situations though. Thing is the 125 has 4 power settings and the 50 only one. The 125 is a much more versatile lens and it's usefullness will outlast your housing and camera. Also it will be easier to get the light balancing ratio you desire with 2 strobes of the same power. Especially if they have more power settings.

  12. I think I am going to get another 125 a rapid charger and two extra batterys. Yeah..That shoud do it!

  13. Actually, if you are truly obsessed you need 3 125s and an extra battery pack. One for each checked bag and one for your carryon. Two for your housing and one for your backup. But I'm not excessive compulsive, am I?

  14. Take III

     

    Exposure - M or A

    White Balance - Auto

    Metering- Center weighted or Spot

    Image Adjustment -Less Contrast

    Saturation Control (I would assume low)

    Lens - Normal

    Exposure Options AE lock

    Focus Area Mode = Manual (Need to look this one up)

    Image sharpening -Low

    Noice Reduction - Off

    ISO - 100

    Zoom Options Fixed Aperture

    Speedlight Cntrl - Auto

    Speed Light Variable Power Opt. -2

    Shot Confirmation Lamp - Off

  15. Housing on its way from UPS/Ike and trying to get all the settings ready for a trip next week. Sheet III shows AE Lock and ISO 100. I could not get ISO 100 set with AE Lock. Also with Lens set to wide in one of the post. No flash with wide selection. Confused about some of the other settings as well, but got to start somewhere. Learning.....:cool:

  16. This document changes as we lear, please notice in take three the lens is set to normal.

  17. No need to set to wide. That is a custom setting and all it does is zoom out full and turn off the camera's internal speedlite.

     

    Not sure about the AElock and ISO 100 thingy. You definitely want ISO100. I don't think those functions are inter-related so you might try again.

     

    Cheers

    James

  18. Hi. I have been reading all the comments about the CP5000. I am thinking real hard about the A5000 housing with their dome port to use the 19mm lens. I am quite impressed with some of the close up photos I have seen on the site with that lens ... that appears to be really nice.

     

    I do wonder about that shutter lag. I experienced a little bit of that with a temporary Olympus 4040 set up in Tahiti recently. That is really frustrating when the action is going. So, I just wonder if I should wait on a housing for a digital SLR (I have D100 on order).

     

    James, and others with CP5000 (or otherwise) ... your thoughts???

  19. shutter lag is a problem. Note in manual focus mode there is almost no lag.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.