Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Annoying problem with the Z240

Started by lbedogni ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Annoying problem with the Z240

13 posts
  1. Hi, I have a couple of Inon Z-240 which I use together with my Oly em1.2 in Nauticam housing through fiber optic. The problem i face multiple Times in a dive Is that when i move the strobes,often i touch the selector between pre-flash and normal,so that when I take the picture it happens that One of the strobes, if not both,do not Fire in Sync with the camera. Has anyone found a DIY solution or anything else which may keep the selector securely in Place?

     

    Thank you

     

    Inviato dal mio CPH2005 utilizzando Tapatalk

     

     

  2. What mode do you have the strobes in?  I have this setup shooting in manual and the ACC magnet switch is locked in and for me does not dislodge.  The solution might be different depending on if you always have the magnet in or out.

  3. I Need the magnet in

    Inviato dal mio CPH2005 utilizzando Tapatalk

  4. 20 minutes ago, lbedogni said:

     

    Hi, I have a couple of Inon Z-240 which I use together with my Oly em1.2 in Nauticam housing through fiber optic. The problem i face multiple Times in a dive Is that when i move the strobes,often i touch the selector between pre-flash and normal,so that when I take the picture it happens that One of the strobes, if not both,do not Fire in Sync with the camera. Has anyone found a DIY solution or anything else which may keep the selector securely in Place?

     

    Thank you

     

    Inviato dal mio CPH2005 utilizzando Tapatalk

     

     

     

    I have Z330, but the problem is similar: it is too easy to unintentionally touch the preflash knob and release it...

    I use the strobe in manual mode and only notice that I have unintenionally released this knob when I see that the strobe does not emmit enough light. ..

    Same happens with the focus light on knob: I also sometimes touch this knob unintenionally and then the focus light goes on and I cannot switch it off and have to wait until it goes off automatically...

    The problem is more severe when using gloves. I am reading here with interest, since I do not have a solution. I can say, however, that with more experience the problem becomes smaller...

    The poor ergonomics is really an annoying problem of these otherwise very well working strobes.

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  5. Yes,Sporting It Is quite Easy due to uneven light or dark pictures. However it is annoying that if you have fast moving subjects you have to check every time before approaching to see if everything Is in Place.

    Inviato dal mio CPH2005 utilizzando Tapatalk

  6. You could place a pin through the hole used to lock the switch to allow you to screw it out see this:

    View archived post in: R5 and Nauticam TTL trigger and Inon z240 problems

    This locks the pin down - to get fancy you might try using stainless wire and folding it to make it neat and less likely to foul on things. 

    Or if you can find a screw that has the same thread as the magnet switch you could remove the switch, buy a spare magnet and insert the screw.

  7. I see, i'll dive again tomorrow,let's see if I can avoid It.

    Thanks

    Inviato dal mio CPH2005 utilizzando Tapatalk

  8. If you never want the pin out, you can solve the issue in a permanent way.

    1. Remove the magnet button

    2. Place a magnet cilinder in place

    3. Put a screw over the magnet

    This is the way I have solved the problems with the magnet of the button that got corroded and was not activating properly.

    You need to find a magnet cylinder of the right size and the screw of the right size also. You need to be careful because magnet and screw too big might result in damage of the strobe housing.

    I will look for the screw parameters to post it here.

    IMG_3085.png.7523d3a6a9df8ab078ed352c7c76bb4c.png.

     

  9. On the Z40 Type 4, the ACC/Advanced Cancel Circuit switch/button can be locked into place.  Just push it in and twist to lock it.  That should prevent it from changing if bumped.  If it doesn't twist, then the inside of the switch may need a good cleaning.  Salt can get trapped and corrode the insides.  Just unscrew the switch to remove it for cleaning.  A few years back, I had to replace one of my ACC's.  IIRC, Reef Photo sold the replacement switch and it was a DIY fix.  Hope this helps.

  10. Hot melt glue. Nobody said strobes should look pretty.

     

  11. Or just order the magnet set, one per strobe and maybe a spare set, for the D2000/S2000 and remove the switch from the Z240. The allen screw can be sourced at a hardware store or again from Inon. 

    Edited by Captain Fathom
  12. The Z240 switch's screw thread is 1 x 7 mm and the hole is 16 mm deep. A round head Philips screw of about 7 mm length should do the job of replacing the switch button.  

    My Z240's switch turned much too easily. To unscrew it required pliers. After I screwed it back on, it is hard to turn and now jams either open or shut, so the problem of its turning easily between locked/unlocked is solved, I hope.

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  13. It seems i was able ti lock them properly, i had no issues on my last 2 dives. Probably double-triple checking them before the dive may do the trick.

    Inviato dal mio CPH2005 utilizzando Tapatalk

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.