Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon Z: 8-15 mm fisheye or 105 mm macro?

Started by horvendile ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Z: 8-15 mm fisheye or 105 mm macro?

26 posts
  1. I have used normal focal length macro lenses for many years. First case was using the classic 55mm f/3.5 Micro Nikkor back in the late 80s when I was a Ph.D. student! This was a lens that extended quite a bit when focused close. More recently I have used the 60mm AFS lens with both flat and done ports (each has pros and cons).  I have yet to take a 1:1 or even 1:2 shot using one so this argument has not much value to me. Instead these lenses provide much better close focusing ability than the run of the mill standard lenses that may only focus to 0.4 meters. The normal focal length is useful for larger or more skittish marine creatures that are smaller than a whale. A 105 or 100mm is just too long a lens for other than close-up portraits, which I have done when confronted with the wrong lens syndrome on a dive and wanted to shoot anyway!

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  2. 23 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    The problem with the MC-50 is short working distance, which is only 52mm from the front of the lens at 1:1.  You will lose about 10mm of that working distance with the port, so you'll end up with 40mm working distance when at maximum magnification which will have a 35mm subject filling the horizontal frame.

    it certainly has its uses shooting larger subjects but getting in close and lighting will be challenge for the small stuff.

    Yeah, given it's all theoretical for me right now (as I don't have my setup yet), I can see that shooting the smaller stuff will be a challenge depending on location / what the subject is etc.

    However, my last rig for macro had a <4cm working distance and awful focus hunting - if I could get a few ok macro shots with that then my assumption is the 50mm will still be ok for me.

    Having said that I've moved from a solely macro location to the GBR, so I'm guessing 80% of my dives will be wide. The MC 50mm will probably get more use topside :)

  3. Update regarding the Z 105 mm macro: I just saw that Sea & Sea has updated their port chart, and the Z 105 uses the same port as the F-mount 105 mm macro.

    http://seaandsea.jp/products/system_chart/mdx_nikon.html

    This is what I expected, but nevertheless nice to get a confirmation. I suppose the same will hold for other brands of underwater housings.

    Edit: incidentally I just got an e-mail saying that my Z 105 has arrived and now I have to decide pretty quickly whether I will buy it or not.

    Edited by horvendile
  4. 1 hour ago, horvendile said:

    Update regarding the Z 105 mm macro: I just saw that Sea & Sea has updated their port chart, and the Z 105 uses the same port as the F-mount 105 mm macro.

    Yeah, good indeed to get that confirmation. Thanks for letting us know.

    So, the big decision then.... are you slapping down the cash????

  5. 1 hour ago, TimG said:

    So, the big decision then.... are you slapping down the cash????

    I really don't know. I have until tomorrow to decide. It's definitely a "nice to have" rather than "need to have", but nice is... nice.

  6. 6 minutes ago, horvendile said:

    but nice is... nice.

    Ahhhh, such wise words - and such a slippery slope...... 

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.