Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

NCUPS Sea2004 contest results: It's official....

Started by herbko ·

  • 49Posts
  • 49Replies

Read-only discussion

NCUPS Sea2004 contest results: It's official....

49 posts
  1. NCUPS Sea2004 contest results: It's official....

    Todd is the bigger sandbagger ever: He entered as novice and sweept both the macro and wide angle categories, and got the best in digital also.

     

    Rand gets the reuse award. :) He got first in macro with the shot he won LAUPS with, and he got a first in wide with shot he won DDI with.

     

    Kasey Kanton won the best of print and the Bob Crommer award which is given to the best of show.

     

    ChirsM got a 1st California wide angle and had another one or two that placed. I couldn't keep track. It was going by too fast.

     

    Linda Cline also placed, second I think, but I couldn't keep track.

     

    I got a 1st in California macro and an HM in macro.

     

    It' likely I missed somebody we know. Roeland, the contest director had the whole award show done as a slide show on his laptop, and I think he set the time per shot a little fast.

     

    Jim and Anna Abernethy gave a great show on their shark dive trips before the awards.

  2. Congrats to all the other winners! I was hoping to see lots of familiar names in the placings. Congrats, Chris, Rand, Linda, Kasey and Herb. Like there was any doubt for you guys to not only place but win categories!

     

    Thanks Herb for keeping track. Sandbagger well, I guess I can take that as a compliment. :? Thankfully I checked before entering to make sure monthly website contests did not count towards wins for the contest.

     

    BOS in Digital cool!! :o

     

    I really don't know all the shots that placed yet but was told my Tightrope Walker won the BOS for digital. I think it was the lure of the pink focus light. :) The Abernethy's and Eric called me to tell me. (They thought I already knew how I had done) It was nice to have it come from them. First time I have ever placed in a contest, that's cool.

     

    Seriously though, I could not have placed without the help and critique and guidance of so many people. I never mention names as you always risk missing someone so, to all those who have taken time to comment on any of my shots or given me advice or tips on shooting, editting or encouraged me...Thank you!

     

    I truly appreciate it! :D

  3. Congratulations to everyone!!!! This is awesome - it's wonderful to see us all "grow" as a group and to see digital underwater photography become more accepted.

     

    Good job!

    James

  4. Congratulations to all the winners from here!

    Is there a place to see the winnings frames on the net?

     

    Thanks. They will be posted at http://ncups.org in a few day.

  5. Thanks for posting Herb, and congrats to everyone else, .....

     

    Does anyone have a full list of who placed where?

     

    Chris

  6. Congrats, everyone! I'm trying to get ahold of the final list, with images to show as well, but it's taking longer than expected. :)

  7. Yes, congrats to all those who placed and those that entered as well.

     

    Eric, do you have enough bandwidth for all of Todd's pics? :)

  8. Excellent work. Good to see that you guys have managed to stop the French and Italians winning all the prizes for once! :)

  9. Thanks Alex.

     

    And sorry for my oversight Eric, I editted my post as you too had called to congratulate me also. I was so stunned when you guys called and could not believe my luck. I certainly appreciated the call and kind words.

     

    Now if I could only find out which pictures placed where. :roll:

  10. one full week and not a peep. Not to be rude, but I emailed the contest "director" (?) directly nicely asking if he could tell me what pics placed where (and even where I placed).

     

    Not even the courtesy of a "f*** off I'm busy" reply. Completely ignored. I know we are all busy and all, but......

     

    :roll:

     

     

    Chris

  11. Hey, guys!

     

    Here's the complete list of winners:

    http://wetpixel.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-6810.phtml

     

    I have a partial list of the winning images, but they were not organized in a way that will make it easy to post. I think we're going to have to wait until they make it onto the NCUPS site.

     

    Unless: someone want to volunteer to get the images correlated and coded up into HTML? I have a partial list, and a directory of images with names that don't help. :)

  12. Thanks Eric, looks like I spoke a moment too soon, quick question re: categories... In Cali Digital WA, there is a first and then 2 HMs. Did you just list wetpixelians? Or are those the only awards handed out in that category. If so, how does that happen (ie, why not 1st 2d 3d)? Just curious...

     

    Thanks again for posting the info.

     

    Chris

  13. Hey, guys!  

     

    Here's the complete list of winners:

    http://wetpixel.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-6810.phtml

     

    I have a partial list of the winning images, but they were not organized in a way that will make it easy to post.  I think we're going to have to wait until they make it onto the NCUPS site.  

     

    Unless: someone want to volunteer to get the images correlated and coded up into HTML?  I have a partial list, and a directory of images with names that don't help. :)

     

    Is that the correct link? Isn't that the url for THIS page?

  14. Thanks Eric, looks like I spoke a moment too soon, quick question re: categories... In Cali Digital WA, there is a first and then 2 HMs.  Did you just list wetpixelians?  Or are those the only awards handed out in that category.  If so, how does that happen (ie, why not 1st 2d 3d)?  Just curious..

     

    Hey, Chris. Most of the WA categories were very weak this year. I'm going to write up an editorial about it uh... when I have time. :) But there is tremendous opportunity to win great trips next year, especially if you have strong wide angle shots! We didn't even award all of the place spots because there weren't enough strong entries.

  15. Hey, Chris. Most of the WA categories were very weak this year. I'm going to write up an editorial about it uh... when I have time.  But there is tremendous opportunity to win great trips next year, especially if you have strong wide angle shots! We didn't even award all of the place spots because there weren't enough strong entries.

     

    Thanks. I guess I find it interesting that judging is not, "OK, here's the field we have, here's first, second, third, etc." So pics must have been viewed and then awarded a place, rather than ranking them? Not being a harda** or ungrateful, just curious as to the judging process.

     

    Chris

  16. Chris -

     

    Finalist images are chosen from the group via private listings from judges. The rest is just deliberation between the judges. From that point on, it is "OK, here's a field we have -- here's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc." . The images were essentially ranked by jury.

     

    However, this year we felt that there weren't enough quality images to award the full number of places. So while they might have been ranked, they might not have been given places. We definitely weren't going to give 2nd/3rd places to images that weren't compelling...

  17. gotcha, thanks

  18. Eric, did I have an image DQ'd? Herb's list said I'd taken a first in W/A your's shows it as Kasey Canton. Just curious.

     

    Rand

  19. Rand - you're right. Apologies for the mistake!

     

    I'm making lists from Powerpoints from the organizer. I'm amazed myself that there wasn't a master list that could easily be distributed.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.