Burned might not be quite the right word.
In July 2020 was to go there for the grouper spawning at Fakarava as part of 10 day cruise to Rangiroa. Add to the boat the interisland flights and 2 nights hotel at the end points, and 3 nights at Fakarava and (terrible move by my bookers), 10 dives paid for Prodive). Of course it didn't happen. One night hotel was not refundable, the rest is a mix of refunds and mostly credits.
Air Tahiti gave me until the end of Sept to rebook the interisland flights, so I figured things would be in good shape by February this year. Book another international flight, more hotels (made sure all cancelable), new flight for a few bucks more, and upgraded the Fakarava hotel. Come January, this was a 'should we do it or not decision' which we were leaning against when the country closed it borders again. This time Chase got the interisland flight refunded, but I still have 3 nights and 10 dives there, and a dive boat credit that will probably be pretty good, but makes me a bit nervous until I do as it's ~13k USD.
United was (eventually) pretty good about refunds/credits in a way I was ok with, but on the first try, I had made the daring move to use French Bee for the return flight, because the days of the week United does didn't mesh well. Here I got the ticket class that did allow for refunds, but FB decided it would not honor that, despite the contract and US law prohibiting such for cancelled flights. They continued to sell such 'non refundable' tickets even while deny my request and the case I opened with the DOT. Happily Chase would do a reversal even though it was ~9 months after the time of booking.
To date I've only lost a little bit of money and so long as I can use the boat credits, I'll be at least even. It's more the loss of the trips that hurt (like for all of us), and for now, I'd rather avoid any more and pick the spots with the most potential to succeed, or the ones that can be arranged on fairly short notice.
Someday I'll make it to Fakarava and Rangiroa, but maybe I'll take baby steps and try to get to Moreea for whale season. When pandemic considerations no longer apply, it's a very accessible location from California.
