13 hours ago, Architeuthis said:
Maybe it is just too much vacuum?
In the beginning I had a similar problem with my Nauticam housing and vacuum system, when I was pumping first like crazy (I believed the more vacuum the better...
). Some buttons stopped to work ...
When I pump just one or two more strokes more after the blue light has changed to green, I do not have any problems with camera controls...
Wolfgang
I know you are reporting your observations, but it doesn't make much sense to me as when pumping out to create a vacuum inside the housing you develop a force which pushes inwards on all of the buttons and the two halves of the housing as well as the port. This is no different to the external pressure placed on the housing by water when you dive and that pressure is significantly greater than the pressure differential you can develop via vacuum.
The biggest pressure differential you can develop by removing 100% of the air is one atmosphere and you get 1 bar differential pressure at 10m on housing with no vacuum and of course gets greater as you dive. The Nauticam vacuum pump is really not that efficient it has large clearances and as the pressure gets lower more atmospheric air leaks into the pump as you withdraw the piston so I would think you may get 0.5 bar vacuum at the very greatest at a guess.
Pressure is pressure whether created by vacuum inside or external pressure from diving. So something else must be happening I think - perhaps the buttons behave differently when immersed in water.
The pressure forces acting on the buttons is really quite low, most seem to have 3mm dia control shafts - the inward force on those buttons varies with control shaft diameter and for a 3mm shaft at 30m the inward force would 200 gram. The housing are rated with springs to resist a 700 gram force which is what you get at 100m. The deflection of the housing itself at 0,5 bar I would expect is minimal.
Did you ever confirm that all the buttons work at your maximum depth - I don't know how you use your housing, when I dive I very rarely push any of the buttons, just change aperture and ISO occasionally and the review button sometimes
Out of interest I checked my EM-1 MkII Nauti housing at two pumps past green and then again with an additional 10-12 strokes and all the buttons worked, mine is just one sample of course!