Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony Macro Options: Sony 90mm vs Sigma 105mm

Started by phil.elsasser ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony Macro Options: Sony 90mm vs Sigma 105mm

24 posts
  1. On 1/6/2022 at 4:24 PM, ChrisRoss said:

    The 90mm should have a field of view that fits a subject 200mm across the horizontal frame at the maximum 500mm focus distance with the focus limiter activated. 

    on the Olympus why do you say it "had"to be limited to the 0.19 - 0.4m range?  I always leave mine on the full range setting.

    That is a great question, I could never seem to get it to focus well for true macro subjects with the full range.  Maybe it was just my lens, but I had way better luck when shooting nudibranchs for example with the focus limiter engaged. 

  2. 2 hours ago, phil.elsasser said:

    That is a great question, I could never seem to get it to focus well for true macro subjects with the full range.  Maybe it was just my lens, but I had way better luck when shooting nudibranchs for example with the focus limiter engaged. 

    quite possibly camera dependent, I have the EM-1 MkII and it is miles ahead of my old EM-5 MkII for AF with the macro lens.

    That's the thing with macro lenses the performance can vary depending on how good the AF is on the camera you are using, so you need to reference both camera and lens.

  3. Any idea how the Sony 90 mm lens will autofocus with the new A7R V camera? Aside for the updated AI for focusing on objects and critters, will it autofocus as fast as the A1?

  4. I use the sigma 105 with an a7iii. Very nice image quality but it does hunt something fierce in low light I use a pretty powerful focus light. 

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.