Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Help! Simple but super set ups?

Started by Minkie ·

  • 21Posts
  • 21Replies

Read-only discussion

Help! Simple but super set ups?

21 posts
  1. I can’t get my head around all the different settings and it became a source of anxiety when I couldn’t find my way. That totally defeats the point of it all. To enjoy the experience.

    So, I know it might be looked down upon but what advice can you guys give for a really good, not too costly simple set up that is capable of capturing great images (macro especially) if the planets align just right, the wind is blowing in the right direction and the fish come out to play?

  2. 25 minutes ago, Minkie said:

    I can’t get my head around all the different settings and it became a source of anxiety when I couldn’t find my way. That totally defeats the point of it all. To enjoy the experience.

    So, I know it might be looked down upon but what advice can you guys give for a really good, not too costly simple set up that is capable of capturing great images (macro especially) if the planets align just right, the wind is blowing in the right direction and the fish come out to play?

    What's your idea of not too costly?  There's two ways to do it at the cheaper end  - using a closeup lens on a kit lens or using a dedicated macro lens. 

    An example using m43 as basic setup for macro , you could use the 14-42 kit lens with a CMC-1 - it will get 0.8x magnification - the frame is 21.5mm across and working distance is limited to 41-76mm, the lens won't focus outside this range.  So this provides a limited range of subject sizes. 

    Using the 60mm macro lens it will focus from infinity to lifesize (1.0x) with the frame being 17mm across.  This lens allows shooting smallish nudis right through to fish about 150mm quite readily.  Beyond this size you start to get too far away.  It will get lifesize at 90mm from the front of the lens so gives more magnification with more working distance than the 14-42 option.  But you have to change lenses to shoot larger subjects.  For macro this makes shooting a lot easier.

    The AOI housing with the EPL-10 is a good budget package and comes with a standard port for the 14-42.  You can buy a port for the 60mm macro and use that.  That a one or two strobes will get you started quite well - it has a built in flash trigger and vacuum system.  It only uses the rear screen for composition, getting a setup with a viewfinder which has advantages for macro will cost more $$.

  3. If you're looking for an inexpensive macro camera, you may be served well by an Olympus TG-6. Read through Backscatter guides on that camera to see if it's right for you. The small (1/2.3") sensor actually brings some advantages for macro, as not needing as much magnification as larger sensor cameras to capture the same subject, you get considerably more depth of field.

  4. If going micro four thirds I would definitely prefer a proper macro lens for ease of use, as you don't have the problem of deciding when you need to put the lens on and you can start focusing from a longer distance. I would however not start with the Olympus 60mm. While it is a fantastic lens and also supported by cheaper housings, I find the Panasonic 45mm much easier to use. It seems to focus easier on my Olympus Em5 (original) and the wider FoV means you can also use it for some fish portraits easier than the really long Olympus 60mm.

    A single strobe will be enough, preferably with S-TTL, although personally I believe that shooting manual gives better results and is more rewarding. 

    The TG-6 is another good option, that will be cheaper than a micro four thirds setup. Depends on what level of image quality satisfies you.

  5. Maybe check the classified section for underwater housing. The older models have simpler settings and modes. And the owner of the housing should give you a cheatsheet to get you started on the housing and have all the bugs worked out. 

  6. Oh my thank you for all the tips so quickly!

    More reading up needed before I pull the trigger because it’s a financial and emotional investment, but it’s having a place to start, and now I do :D

    Thank you guys. I’ve definitely come to the right place! 

  7. I first bought a 60mm, and loved it in the tropics. In the quite murky conditions at home I could not get along with it, it tends to focus on the particles in the water. I a finally bought the 45mm, it works much better in these conditions.  What also counts, is the narrower angle of view of the 60mm. In more difficult conditions its harder to catch your subject.  The image quality of both lenses is superb, I would say the best choice depends on the water you usually dive in. A much cheaper alternative is the Olympus 30 mm macro f/4. Not a bad lens but you need to get (to) close to the subject for maximum magnification.

     

  8. Hmm.  How about a TG5 or TG6?

  9. I’ve plumped for the TG6

    Not taken it underwater yet but the macro is fantastic. I love it! Think I’ve made a good decision here. Time will tell though.. thank you for the advice guys!

  10. If you want a not expensive camera that can take good photos, and really good macro photos, then I think the Olympus TG-6 is great.  Sometimes I don't want to  drag my big rig around, so I just tuck the TG-6 in my BCD pocket, and know it's there if I need it.

    I do not have the housing for it.  Yes, it's rated for something like 50 feet only without the housing, but I have takin it as deep as 90 feet with no leakage.  It won't function at that depth because it just gets too squeezed, but so far (I dont make a habit out of this) no issues.

    The Close-up capability of this thing is awesome. It's called microscope mode and it is super fun. Here are a couple of shots.  The blenny is about half inch across, the hermit crab about half inch across as well.  The anemone was shot with the TG-4 with a couple of cheap video lights on flexible arms pointed down. 

    Keep the color setting neutral or the colors will be just too fake.  Use the manual white balance feature as you change distance and depth, and you will have good results.  

    This small camera is one you can always have with you, and as the saying goes, the best camera is the one that you have with you.

     

    PA200063.jpg

    hermit crab2.JPG

    P9270833.jpg

    IMG_0248.JPG

  11. Agree with all the above,  the Olympus TG cameras, all editions, are great for underwater photos.  I use the TG4 in an Olympus housing and have been delighted with it.

    Clown angler fish Antennarius maculatus.jpg

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  12. 3 hours ago, Blakerunner57 said:

     

    I do not have the housing for it.  Yes, it's rated for something like 50 feet only without the housing, but I have takin it as deep as 90 feet with no leakage.  It won't function at that depth because it just gets too squeezed, but so far (I dont make a habit out of this) no issues.

     

    If you look at the fine print in the manual they say the camera's seals need to be changed every 12 months.  The door seals are straight forward, however the seals that fail are those under the buttons.  They seem to be a membrane seal that eventually holes through and this shorts out the buttons.  It's not if but when they will fail.  It might be a little over 12 months or it could be a couple of years.  I have personally had one camera fail twice, first time under warranty.  The housings are more durable and should last the life of the camera.

  13. I'm not sure if this is the place to piggyback this topic, but it seems related so here it goes.

    I did about 2 yrs of causal UW photography and diving about 20 yrs ago and now with a 13 yo daughter I'm back!  As an initial investment the Olympus TG6 should work and we're off to Bora Bora 1st week of June (assuming I can get this camera).  We're just doing snorkeling at this point, but eventually I'll get her diving.  Here are the questions?

    If I like macro, but she wants to have video too, how much gear do I need to buy for this little fella?  I figure housing and camera and at least one strobe is a minimum, but figure for video I need two strobes.  Wide angle lens necessary?  Any macro pic worthy diving worthwhile in Bora Bora beyond the usu snorkel tours?  I've seen some gear packages on Backscatter, but I wasn't sure if their strobe set up was good quality.  Budget for this adventure maybe $3k.

    A lot of questions I know and much appreciated if there is an easy place in forum you can direct me with these answers.  I tried to search and didn't find it so far.

     

    Best regards,

  14. 4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

    I'm not sure if this is the place to piggyback this topic, but it seems related so here it goes.

    I did about 2 yrs of causal UW photography and diving about 20 yrs ago and now with a 13 yo daughter I'm back!  As an initial investment the Olympus TG6 should work and we're off to Bora Bora 1st week of June (assuming I can get this camera).  We're just doing snorkeling at this point, but eventually I'll get her diving.  Here are the questions?

    If I like macro, but she wants to have video too, how much gear do I need to buy for this little fella?  I figure housing and camera and at least one strobe is a minimum, but figure for video I need two strobes.  Wide angle lens necessary?  Any macro pic worthy diving worthwhile in Bora Bora beyond the usu snorkel tours?  I've seen some gear packages on Backscatter, but I wasn't sure if their strobe set up was good quality.  Budget for this adventure maybe $3k.

    A lot of questions I know and much appreciated if there is an easy place in forum you can direct me with these answers.  I tried to search and didn't find it so far.

     

    Best regards,

    It's probably just as easy to start with the base camera - don't know what the opportunities for macro will be like in Bora Bora.  The TG cameras do a passable job at video and if you are snorkelling light are probably not really necessary.  A single strobe would be fine for macro photos.  Note you would be looking for video lights for video not strobes  and video lights are not powerful enough to wide angle photography, particularly lights at the budget end while a S2000 strobe is perfectly fine for a TG-6 and OK for the EPL-10. 

    If you are looking at expanding later consider that the TG-6 will cost $750 with housing while you can get the EPL-10 package for just under $1300.  The m43 sensor is a much better sensor than the small chip in the TG-6.  You need to add closeup lenses for the EPL setup to get into macro range - but if you are snorkelling you probably won't get into true macro range and you can add on close up lenses later one or get a macro lens/port for the housing. 

    If you are purely snorkelling I'd consider starting without any lighting as there is generally plenty of light at the surface and realistically getting close enough to be within strobe (or video light) range (about 1m away) might prove to be a challenge.  Also a rig with a light on an arm is possibly a little ungainly for snorkelling.

    When you start diving you can add in a strobe then a second one and decide if you want wet lenses or go with a fisheye/macro lens setup if you go with the EPL-10.

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  15. Extremely helpful!  I was thinking this would eventually be my daughter's camera and I would upgrade if we start going a lot, but she's 13 yo and maybe that never happens, lol.   Appreciate it.  I'll just start with the camera and case and go from there.

  16. On 5/17/2022 at 1:10 AM, grasshopper said:

    Extremely helpful!  I was thinking this would eventually be my daughter's camera and I would upgrade if we start going a lot, but she's 13 yo and maybe that never happens, lol.   Appreciate it.  I'll just start with the camera and case and go from there.

    Or just get a GoPro for the wide angle video. Doesn't get simpler to use than that.

  17. TG-6 is a fine suggestion, if macro is your primary interest. But you could also consider a pre-owned Micro 4/3 setup that would have more capability and give you room to grow (estimated prices). Best of all, you will be learning alot of skills that will translate if or when you move up to a higher end system.

    Olympus E-M1 Mk1 body: $250 (make sure the seller gives you the included factory pop-up flash, which you can use to trigger strobes)
    Nauticam NA-EM1 housing: $600
    Olympus 60mm macro: $450
    Nauticam N85 macro port for Only 60mm macro: $250
    Backscatter Mini Flash: $399 (new)

    So, for just under $2000, you now have a nice macro setup that will do 1:1, along with the perfect little strobe for it. Add the optical snoot for $149, if you want. Add a CMC or a pre-owned subsea diopter for more magnification. Now, you're in the Nauticam N85 world, so you can move up to a GH5, GH6, or the new OM1 if you want. And also, it's a nice, light and compact system. Easy to travel with and easy to love. You can do alot with a little setup like this and unlike the TG6, you can grow your system easily. Later, if you want to do some wide angle, add the following pre-owned items.

    Pair of YS-D1: $500
    DP-170 AR coated glass dome: $600 (There's actually one for sale right now in classifieds. I'd snatch that up if I didn't already have one... Works great with both Panasonic 7-14 and 8mm fisheye)
    Panasonic 7-14 or 8mm fisheye: $500 (on KEH now)

    Edited by jplaurel
  18. Ty so much for the suggestions.  All good options and I decided to go with the Backscatter simple package:

     Olympus TG-6 with PT-059 housing

    Backscatter MW-4300 Video light and mount

    Nauticum flexitray plate II with left handle

     

    I figured it will do the trick to learn again and I had the cash to burn.  If my daughter catches on or I just end up going more again (likely), then I'll invest in a nicer rig as I grow out of my compact and she can eventually use this.

    What I forgot:

    I'm not a little myopic since I last dove . . . how am I going to see that back screen?  (AOI-UMG-01 magnifying viewer, will that work for my aging eyes?)

    no lens cover, whoops

    no memory card, lol (128G Delkin fine?  I will have a laptop to download after dives)

    no back up battery (21700 Li-Ion rechargeable batteries came with it; assume they are fine for back up)

    no wide angle lens (How is the Backscatter M52 81 degrees air lens for a beginner? Or should I upgrade to a better lens?)

    no software to edit photos or video (what would you suggest for beginners that I could add music to short clip video maybe?)

    and no fish identifying software.  I have 3 books from ages ago, but obviously not a good option this decade.  Is there something people suggest to reference on the web?

     

    Very excited to try this out in Bora Bora in 2 weeks!

    Edited by grasshopper
  19. I opted for the 120 degree WA lens that Backscatter recommended, got the other items.  If anyone has a suggestion on pic editing software or software to identify critters or website, that would be appreciated. 

  20. Hi Grasshopper, 

    Good choice! I'm on the Great Barrier Reef, so similar conditions to French Polynesia. I also have a daughter that likes freediving and taking pictures. An easy-to-use camera is perfect so they can concentrate on the marine life and also take quick photos whilst breath holding. As you are snorkelling, you would likely have the most fun with minimum drag when swimming (especially free-diving) and probably not need the light. (Nice to some night snorkelling though!)

    I have the 81 degree wet lens, the 120 degree wet lens with the Olympus PT-059 housing, and also the Ikelite housing with the 6 inch dome and the Olympus fisheye adapter. The set-up you have bought is my favourite.

    I don't have the magnifier but thinking of getting one - but also worth thinking of an optical mask if you are getting slightly short-sighted. The JPEGS and underwater white balance settings on the the TG-6 work very well. Also, with the wet lens it is easy to get very close to subjects and scratch the polycarbonate front element. It has a hard coating, but that doesn't seem very tough and is very difficult to fix.

    Not sure about software but with books - Reef creature identification, Tropical Pacific by Humann/Deloach published by New World Publications is good, as is the companion volume on fish 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.