here we are. On February 15th OM Digital just confirmed the launch of its new camera and here we have the first leaks


Here you will findsome leaks on camera specs:
https://www.43rumors.com/first-leaked-images-of-the-new-om-1-camera/
Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Started by Davide DB ·
Read-only discussion
here we are. On February 15th OM Digital just confirmed the launch of its new camera and here we have the first leaks


Here you will findsome leaks on camera specs:
https://www.43rumors.com/first-leaked-images-of-the-new-om-1-camera/
It looks like not all that much is better. Still 20mp and so far no announcement that multishot modes are so much faster that they are usable, although underwater that was probably not going to happen anyway. I think now might be a good time to get an Em1mkII for me...
It looks like they have just pasted the parts they can see on the Olympus released teaser photo onto an EM-1 MkIII body image. We'll see tomorrow as to how accurate it is.
I believe Olympus is going to put a lot of effort into the computational photography aspect of the hardware in the camera. I don't know how that is going to be useable for us as underwater photographers.
Only time will tell, but I know Ill be on the lookout for used gear as people jump off the micro4/3 ship if the new camera falls flat.
I've bee n following the leaks too, and so far do not see any "wow" factor. The new higher resolution OLED finder will be nice. Otherwise there's not much new that will matter UW.
#1.: The rumors say that the sensor will still be 20 Mpixel, but is based on a quad pixel technology and be BSI. In a special readout mode this new technology may bring 2 EV improvement in DR and of noise in the shadows...
#2.: AF is rumored to be substantially improved...
We have to await now what the new OM1 cameras' abilities will be in real life. I believe that #1 and #2 are the current weak points of MFT in UW photography (But I am whining here at a high level). In case the OM1 has indeed much better AF and DR, compared to previous models, I would call this a very good start for the new company and an upgrade from EM1II may well be worth...
Wolfgang
"A diamond is forever" says a famous ads... "Everything else is not" I add.
I hope I will not be forced to change everything. I'm still convinced that M43 is the perfect system for uw video. IMHO going FF is a complete BS.
We will see
I think it's quite likely that they will have improved AF. It was already better with Olympus than with Panasonic.
First reviews
Ouch @ $2200 cost... that's a new high for Olympus.
This is a huuuuge review
We have to wait some more day to see some meaningful review on video side.
A list of the camera features geared toward video:
https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/02/15/om-system-om-1/
Basically 10 bit codecs are available only on external recorders. Very very bad.
Would not recommend this camera for underwater video. There is one internal codec 10bits and it is 420
The other issue is that the OM-Log profile is not great and the others are a bit coarse
I have the OM1, I have used it for UW video using the 265 10 bit codec, edited in Divinchi 18 studio, all depend what you want, For me it just great and I'm happy with the video, being I'm not seeking all the grief I'd get with huge 4.2.2 less lossy 10 bit codecs and having to use flash cards. I found Divinchi can edit 265 direct without having to transcode.
Have a look at my first video. I'm sure many would pull it to bits. BUT I'm happy. Using video lights isn't such a hindrance to me.
On 2/15/2022 at 3:05 PM, Davide DB said:A list of the camera features geared toward video:
https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/02/15/om-system-om-1/
Basically 10 bit codecs are available only on external recorders. Very very bad.
The OM1 records internal 10 bit on 265 codec. I've just used it using the 265
Internal 4:2:2 10 bit H.265
External 4:4:4 12bit ProRes RAW
Sounds good enough for me ![]()
And darn the water in Raja looks so clear...
31 minutes ago, makar0n said:Internal 4:2:2 10 bit H.265
External 4:4:4 12bit ProRes RAW
Sounds good enough for me
And darn the water in Raja looks so clear...
Internal 4:2:0 H265
External 422 Prores and Prores Raw
Prores raw on native lenses does not have any lens corrections. Majority of MFT lenses have chromatic aberrations in excess and distortion. From my experience prores raw is only worth on Canon EF adapted lenses that are clean out of the box
In most underwater cases 422 is a good idea however to be fair other than the GH6 even the GH5M2 offers 60fps at 420
So when you look at 60fps the GH5M2 and the OM-1 are very similar
Looking at this video I dislke the total slow motion it is now becoming a trend in underwater video to have this painstaking video with all going slow
It is not necessary underwater life moves slow compared to many things we see unless you have a baitball a slow motion of a turtle is painful and makes videos double the lenght
This video is nice but could have been cut better in my view if constrained to 4-5 minutes tops
The video is long agree but it is primarily my "holiday video" and I want to keep more footage, so yes it does go on a bit.. It could be cut to the "best shots" and reduced to 5 mins quite easily. Most of the slow ish motion parts are filmed at 30 frames and slowed to 75% to take out some wobble and make it less jerky understanding the frame rate of the video timeline is 24 fps. There only a few clips at 60fps and slowed more. Thanks for your view.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.