Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Gram shaving for travel

Started by mark.b.hatter ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

Gram shaving for travel

25 posts
  1. So sorry to hear this. I was in Indo in September with all my kit and had no issues. But I flew into Jakarta and cleared customs there. Just yesterday arrived Cabo. I was lucky and hit “green” on the search/no search button at customs. My two buddies were not. They were hit with the bogus housing tax which started at hundreds but was negotiated to $50 and $45 respectively. 

  2. I just used a Thinktank Shape Shifter 17 v2 and two Calpak Hue Mini's (hard sided small carry ons) for travel to Philippines. Philippine Air is notorious for extra baggage fees and I did not have an issue. It helps traveling with a spouse that doesn't mind giving up a carry on bag to further the cause. The Thinktank weighed around 35 lbs and the two carry ons were right around 15 lbs. The 3 bags had all my camera gear, dive lights and computers. They only wanted to weigh the carry ons and didn't look at the backpacks we were wearing.

    After traveling to the French Polynesia and paying a lot of money for extra weight, I needed to change what I was doing.

    Next trip will be to Solomon Islands, will see if I have the same luck.

    Not happy to hear about Indonesia tax. I've been wanting to go to Socorro, but have been boycotting due to the tax. Raj Ampat and Komodo have been on my upcoming list.

  3. On 11/9/2022 at 11:33 AM, TimG said:

    Wow, first time I have heard that in Indonesia and like many on the forum, I've been in and out of Indo many times. What a bummer, Mike

    We'd be interested to hear of anyone else who has been hit by this.

    You know I believe this could happen in almost any country the way that customs laws are written,  it could happen to me on the way into Australia, though Australia customs allow you to submit a form listing all your serial numbers to prove you exported them.  Most countries have a duty free import allowance and if you exceed it you are liable for duty.  Many countries tend to ignore this for personal effects of course but the risk is always there. 

    I would suggest obtaining a carnet but that seems to be one of those licence to print money businesses and the costs are not insignificant.

  4. During last 10 years or so, i have been to Indonesia approximately 35-40 times. I have never entered through Bali, always Jakarta/Manado/Makassar.

    3 times i have been flagged down for customs check at Jakarta. They have gone through my equipment and their main concern was that i was importing unused equipment for sales purposes. I had all ports/gears/ect in their original Nauticam packaging so i had to show signs of wear on them. No money was exchanged and i was on my way always.

    I try to be "just a normal tourist" with everything packed in normal Samsonite hard spinners. This has worked twice at Cabo airport also.

    Edited by Sokrates
  5. I too have a luggage addiction!

    I manage one 49.9lb checked bag in a nondescript eagle creek rolling bag. It weights in at 7.5lbs. My two carry ons are an Airport 2 International and  a Tebna shoulder bag. They carry my cameras (2), lenses, typically 4, housing, ports, dome, batteries and regulator. The total weight across both of those bags is close to 55lbs. I move like it weights nothing. Been searched but no issues. I also worry about local international flights weighing my airport 2 carryon. More than a little dismayed that Mexico and now, maybe, Indonesia see a new form of revenue. I've boycotted Mexico, and had planned to return to the coral triangle next year. 

    Maybe migrate to an iPhone and housing with a Keldan light and call it a day for underwater shooting!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.