Nauticam view finder for Sony A1 (and R5 / Z7 etc)
Started by pooley ·
11Posts
11Replies
Read-only discussion
Nauticam view finder for Sony A1 (and R5 / Z7 etc)
11 posts
Hi,
I'm in the process of housing my Sony A1. On an email discussion last week with a very well known underwater camera store I was informed that my current Nauticam DSLR 45 degree viewfinder, whilst it will fit a new housing, gives a smeared view over a significant portion of the EVF, therefore rendering it unusable in the real world
Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with one of the latest set of camera bodies, and am I going to need to budget even further for an updated viewfinder?
cheers
Mike
There have been posts about not so good performance of the standard 45deg viewfinder on the A7RIV:
My EM-1 MkII viewfinder is a little blurry in the corners as well. This is supposed to be fixed by the new viewfinders Nauticam has introduced. It appears the new high definition high magnification viewfinders require an accessory viewfinder with a wider angle of view. The EM-1 MkII is 0.74x, The new OM-1 has 0.83x, the A7RIV has 0.78x while the A1 has 0.9x magnification.
It appears high magnification is what requires a larger field of view and the Sony A1 is the largest magnification in this list. I would also think the new OM-1 would benefit from a larger viewfinder angle of view.
Did the dealer indicate whether the 32 deg or 40 deg viewfinder was recommended for the A1?
Cheers Chris, had a quick read of that thread, seems to be the same issue the dealer is mentioning.
Dealer didn't mention specifically as I was enquiring about the possibilities of mixing and matching different brands initially, but I'm sure I can get the correct answer from a Nauticam dealer as it looks like I'll be going down the full Nauticam setup route for this camera.
Mike
I had the same issue with the high resolution viewfinder in the Nikon Z cameras. I bought the Nauticam Full Frame Viewfinder and it’s clear and sharp corner to corner. Here is what Nauticam says on their site:
“The next generation Nauticam Full Frame Angle Viewfinder is the perfect addition to housings for cameras with the latest generation of larger Electronic Viewfinders such as the Sony A1 and A7SII as it provides a bright, clear and undistorted image of the camera’s viewfinder”
Maybe this is off topic, so please forgive me. But with the newest generation of mirrorless cameras, is an EVF and a viewfinder any better than just looking at the rear LCD screen? Is it personal preference or is the EVF definitely better in some capacity (besides battery life)?
On 5/22/2022 at 10:02 PM, rwb500 said:
Maybe this is off topic, so please forgive me. But with the newest generation of mirrorless cameras, is an EVF and a viewfinder any better than just looking at the rear LCD screen? Is it personal preference or is the EVF definitely better in some capacity (besides battery life)?
OLED EVFs are actually slightly worse than LCDs for battery life, but you typically get a higher resolution, faster refresh rate, and with occlusion of ambient light, better brightness and contrast. With 45-degree viewfinders, you also get a more comfortable shooting position when the camera is close to the bottom.
Bought the new Nauticam 40°/ 0.8:1 45 degrees viewfinder for Sony a7siii or a1, finally I can see the entire frame!
6 hours ago, Barmaglot said:
OLED EVFs are actually slightly worse than LCDs for battery life, but you typically get a higher resolution, faster refresh rate, and with occlusion of ambient light, better brightness and contrast. With 45-degree viewfinders, you also get a more comfortable shooting position when the camera is close to the bottom.
also dioptric correction - you can see the details very clearly, without need for correction lenses if your vision needs assistance for closeup work.
wow, i didn't realize EVF's had more resolution than the LCD. Looks like the Z7ii has about double, and the A7RIV has about 4x the pixels in the EVF vs the LCD.
3 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:
also dioptric correction - you can see the details very clearly, without need for correction lenses if your vision needs assistance for closeup work.
Yes, I forgot to mention this Chris, thanks! With the diopter in the full frame viewfinder I set image playback and can view the previous shot clear and sharp in the viewfinder without readers in my dive mask. The downside is image playback can sometimes block my next shot if I want to take multiple shots in secession.
Thanks everyone, looks like there will be a Nauticam 45 degree finder up for sale before too long sadly (I quite like my current one, don't want to change it!)