Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Back up of high res video files

Started by diggy ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Back up of high res video files

27 posts
  1. Hey guys,

    Have considered moving from stills to Videos and have shot some 4 K high res videos. The same are stored on a few 2 TB and 1 TB SSD's.

    Is there some solution on cloud for back up and/or storage ? Also what do you guys use to store the RAW or unedited videos ?

    Thanks in advance for any help here.

    Diggy

  2. It's really no different to any computer backup except the files are larger.  Cloud is probably impractical due to file sizes, but that will depend on what sort of a deal you can get on cloud storage and your connection speed.

    Otherwise it's a matter of routinely backing them up onto HDDs and keeping several copies.  The external drive should only be connected when you are actually backing up. 

  3. I can recommend the software Goodsync for backups on to a HDD or SSD. I’ve been using it for years to backup my photo collection of about 1TB. 

  4. Has anyone tried “photostick omni”?

  5. diggy,

    I use a Synology NAS  for 40TB+ backup video files. 4K files add up in a hurry! Convenient if you use ethernet.

    If you have Thunderbolt, you can use an OWC ThunderBay 4. It's quick, too. My dive buddy uses it for photo backup, particularly after upgrading to a 40MP camera.

    Tom

    PS: your tag line reminds me of a saying given me by a friend from Scotland: What's for ye'll no go by ye.

    Edited by wydeangle
  6. On 9/16/2022 at 5:58 AM, ChrisRoss said:

    It's really no different to any computer backup except the files are larger.  Cloud is probably impractical due to file sizes, but that will depend on what sort of a deal you can get on cloud storage and your connection speed.

    Otherwise it's a matter of routinely backing them up onto HDDs and keeping several copies.  The external drive should only be connected when you are actually backing up. 

    Thanks Chris. I do have a 12 TB G raid drive currently. But know that this will fill up sooner than anticipated :-) Looking at HDD's

     

    Diggy

  7. On 9/16/2022 at 6:06 AM, TimG said:

    I can recommend the software Goodsync for backups on to a HDD or SSD. I’ve been using it for years to backup my photo collection of about 1TB. 

    Hmm Ok..need to look at this and understand. Thanks Tim

  8. 9 hours ago, wydeangle said:

    diggy,

    I use a Synology NAS  for 40TB+ backup video files. 4K files add up in a hurry! Convenient if you use ethernet.

    If you have Thunderbolt, you can use an OWC ThunderBay 4. It's quick, too. My dive buddy uses it for photo backup, particularly after upgrading to a 40MP camera.

    Tom

    PS: your tag line reminds me of a saying given me by a friend from Scotland: What's for ye'll no go by ye.

    Thanks, Tom

    Have been seriously looking at NAS. This probably may be a relatively economical solution and my best bet going forward. BUT finally notings cheap when it comes to HD video storage :(

    And my Tag line is from a lovely Poem by John Burroughs called Waiting.  I really like 'What's for ye'll no go by ye'  :) Short and sweet. 

     

    Diggy

  9. On 8/25/2022 at 6:22 AM, diggy said:

    Hey guys,

    Have considered moving from stills to Videos and have shot some 4 K high res videos. The same are stored on a few 2 TB and 1 TB SSD's.

    Is there some solution on cloud for back up and/or storage ? Also what do you guys use to store the RAW or unedited videos ?

    Thanks in advance for any help here.

    Diggy

    First make sure you have a process to archive a project

    I shoot tons of video but the clips that have some value I use in a project and the rest in most cases is not interesting so I reject and delete forever

    Once I have output the project I consolidate the library and move it to a 16 TB HDD and delete the source files from the SSD

    I use 400mbps or 800mbps videos. I do not use prores it is a waste of disk space as my cameras have already great codecs

     

  10. On 11/5/2022 at 11:36 PM, Interceptor121 said:

    First make sure you have a process to archive a project

    I shoot tons of video but the clips that have some value I use in a project and the rest in most cases is not interesting so I reject and delete forever

    Once I have output the project I consolidate the library and move it to a 16 TB HDD and delete the source files from the SSD

    I use 400mbps or 800mbps videos. I do not use prores it is a waste of disk space as my cameras have already great codecs

     

    Yes, I do have a process thanks, albeit the same is herculean as I now realise. Have to go through all the videos and by process of great, good and bad eliminate and delete forever the ones that are similar or in the good or bad category. 

    I do now have a 12 TB G raid HDD drive for backups. SSD's just 5 TB as of now. Probably need to get some more storage here?

    My files are heavy. I am currently shooting on a 1DXMk3 D crop canon log. I am not technically savvy yet with video formats codecs etc. Still a learning process. 

    THANKs a lot for your input and anything further you thibnk i should know.

     

    Diggy

  11. 2 hours ago, diggy said:

    Yes, I do have a process thanks, albeit the same is herculean as I now realise. Have to go through all the videos and by process of great, good and bad eliminate and delete forever the ones that are similar or in the good or bad category. 

    I do now have a 12 TB G raid HDD drive for backups. SSD's just 5 TB as of now. Probably need to get some more storage here?

    My files are heavy. I am currently shooting on a 1DXMk3 D crop canon log. I am not technically savvy yet with video formats codecs etc. Still a learning process. 

    THANKs a lot for your input and anything further you thibnk i should know.

     

    Diggy

    Once a project is done you dont need it on the SSD so can go to a slower storage

  12. Uh, oh...

    I sort of recommended a Synology NAS in a prior message in this thread. I must revise that at least for the time being.

    I have a Mac Pro with macOS Ventura (the latest version) that is apparently allergic to Synology, at least their model DS418 which is connected via ethernet. Every time I try to access that particular NAS (and I have three of them) my Mac reboots! After three weeks, still can't access those storage units.

    I'm in touch with Apple and Synology about this, but no joy so far.

    That said, Synology, at least with Apple's latest macOS, is on my NOT recommended list.

    Tom

  13. Hey Tom

    I'm using a Synology D218j as a photo backup device to my Apple Studio which is running Ventura. So far, so good.

    But my partner can't get Ventura to detect her LG 32" screen. 

    Life eh?

     

  14. On 11/23/2022 at 10:54 PM, TimG said:

    (...) Apple (...)

     

    Found the root of the problem :D:D:D

  15. 31 minutes ago, makar0n said:

    Found the root of the problem :D:D:D

    :D

    Just take a bite, makar0n.... a sssmall bite... it tastes delicioussssss...... itssssssss good for you...... 

  16. 1 hour ago, TimG said:

    :D

    Just take a bite, makar0n.... a sssmall bite... it tastes delicioussssss...... itssssssss good for you...... 

    Vade retro satana! :D

    This is the only acceptable apple :blum:

    image.png.5567c5765b52021a7f468ff8835fb4f0.png

    Edited by makar0n
  17. I shoot video exclusively and use multiple inexpensive external solid state drives.  I keep at least two copies of every file, each on a different drive.  It works for me.

  18. On 11/23/2022 at 10:07 AM, wydeangle said:

    Uh, oh...

    I sort of recommended a Synology NAS in a prior message in this thread. I must revise that at least for the time being.

    I have a Mac Pro with macOS Ventura (the latest version) that is apparently allergic to Synology, at least their model DS418 which is connected via ethernet. Every time I try to access that particular NAS (and I have three of them) my Mac reboots! After three weeks, still can't access those storage units.

    I'm in touch with Apple and Synology about this, but no joy so far.

    That said, Synology, at least with Apple's latest macOS, is on my NOT recommended list.

    Tom

    Well, finally figured it out; Synology NASes are functional again. (NO thanks to either Synology or Apple who never got back to me...)

    The answer to my access problem was to change the access protocol from AFP to SMB. If I use AFP (Apple File Protocol) to access the NAS, the Mac reboots instantly. Using SMB (Server Message Block) makes the NASes accessible and perform the way they always had before I "upgraded" to MacOS Ventura which is where I think this problem originated.

    I never told Apple or Synology (and don't intend to since they each left me hung out to dry.) /rant off

    So the Synology NASes are OK once again. Do I recommend Synology? Sort of. Caveat emptor, I guess.

    Tom

  19. On 11/4/2022 at 7:41 PM, diggy said:

    Thanks Chris. I do have a 12 TB G raid drive currently. But know that this will fill up sooner than anticipated :-) Looking at HDD's

     

    Diggy

    BTW RAID is not a backup solutions - it's only a means to get the system back online quickly and you do have to be very careful with RAID systems - if it's a straight mirror system that's just two copies effectively made at once, so if one fails you can use the other copy anywhere.  If it's Raid 5 and for example your RAID motherboard fails you can't access the drives due to the encoding used.   Same thing is a NAS box with RAID built in fails, you may find yourself needing to source an identical box to install your discs in to read it. 

    The other thing to consider is that your two copies on a mirrored RAID can be taken out by a single failure such as a power surge taking out your NAS box or however you have the RAID setup. 

    Personally with the availability of 12TB drives these days I would favour single large drives in good quality individual cases with a fast interface, then you only hook one of them at a time onto your system.  Or you could for example have a 12 TB drive in your system box and a second external for two copies.

    A single non encoded HDD that can be plugged into nay machine anywhere and read is your ultimate backup.

  20. I agree.

    A good docking station can copy a 12 TB drive with a press of a button getting multiple backup copies with no hassle.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.