9 hours ago, TimG said:
Craig, is that distortion as a result of the lens being zoomed to 14mm, or is it the result of the built-in Lens Profile Correction that Nikon have incorporated in the Z lenses?
I'm pretty sure that is perspective distortion one would see at 14mm with any lens, even if that lens didn't have a lot of barrel distortion added on top.
As for built-in correction, I have no idea. I've never tried using 'built-in correction' that I know of. I download NEF files and process them in Lightroom. I turn on Lens Corrections and leave those at defaults.
9 hours ago, TimG said:
I'm finding that issue with another Z lens - the 24-200 - topside. This is also creates weird elongations at the edges of the image. I'm not sure how (or even if) it's possible to switch off that correction. If it is, it may well have interesting results for using the 14-30 underwater! I've tried various settings in Lightroom but havn't found a way yet to eliminate it.
Have you tried the same setting topside and see what result you get?
Well, a correction would make it better, not worse. (Hence the term 'correction'?) Switching off a correction on a lens would almost certainly increase whatever barrel or pincushion distortion was already there, along with increased CD and vignetting.
Personally, I rarely like to go wider than 24mm above water, and even that without humans in the picture, preferably. The perspective distortion at 24mm and wider really is unflattering for people.
Topside with the 14-30. Hmm. Trying to think when I've shot it at 14mm above water. A wide lens like this is a specialized optic for me that doesn't normally get used unless I have a specific shot in mind. Or I'm indoors in a cathedral. (Which I have not been, yet, with the 14-30 as it is a very new lens to me.)