Manipulation of marine life for pics
This being a underwater photographer's forum, I noticed there are instructions and chat about everything except the one thing I personally feel is very important for any shooter, the harassment of sealife to get a pic. I was at Beneath the Sea last year when a certain someone was giving a presentation on his photographs and was proud to describe how he pushed and nudged critters along a rock etc just for a shot. I have also personally seen publishers of magazines and "famous" photographers going ape crazy on fragile coral just to get a shot.
Many a dive guide now think it's ok to dig up a critter for a shot because they get a big tip from the shooters. Look at Lembeh, I've seen people dig up the mandarin fish rubble when they don't pose for the camera. Many a times those metal prods push inimicus, stargazers and eels out of their holes for the same reason. There doesn't seem to be an "etiquette" on what can or cannot be done.
This is not a rant but a discussion on where photographers draw the line. One of the premier photographers once told me he would do all the things I'd described but there were only 10 guys in the country who did that so the area could take a little damage and not suffer. But now with the advent of wealth and availability, so many more people have cameras and strobes and many are either oblivious or do not care about the damage they inflict for the "shot".
I personally think that strobes in particular are very harmful to fish esp critters. I've seen pygmy seahorses fall off a fan because some idiot had to take 12 shots of it, and with digital cameras he could've done 100. What's the big deal? Sure there are plenty of pygmy seahorses but can you imagine if something rare is found? How many people joke about cooking a subject knowingly? Like it's naughty but someone's gotta do it.
I'm just hoping a website and forum like this would promote some sort of ettiquette.