Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

short term lightroom?

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

short term lightroom?

24 posts
  1.  

    I still use the non-subscription versions of Lightroom and Photoshop with images from my Nikon D7000.  I am considering moving to a newer camera and would like my software to be able to read the RAW images I would get.  I only need lightroom for my image work from time to time.  Is it possible to get it for a month then stop the subscription for a while then restart it and repeat that process as needed?

    I know $10/month is not a lot but when COVID arrived, things changed, as you know.  I have yet to need either software for over 3 yrs now and will have limited dive trips per year.

    I anticipate only needing to work on photos maybe 1-2 months per year.  It would be nice to pay $20/yr rather than $120.

     

     

  2. You would need to read the fine print in the contracts.  An alternative might be to purchase affinity photo which is reasonably priced or to use the free Adobe DNG converter to convert all your images to DNG which your lightroom should be bale to process.

  3. This is not an option as far as I know. DNG converter is the only solution.

  4. Sorry but IMO in these cases, piracy is the only option (from someone who pay the bills with software).

    Subscription model for 90% of commercial software is really a scam.

  5. Find a friend you can share a subscription with. Adobe allows two devices to be signed in and active at once. When you sign into a 3rd device it makes you remotely sign out of one of the others. This makes using Adobe at home and doing travel convenient.

    If your friend is not using their subscription in two places for the time you need it, you could share their login.

    You can always access and work with your photos with the Free Adobe Bridge app when you don't have subscription access. Be sure to turn on the XMP metadata file option in Lighroom to make this work properly.

    Edited by davehicks
  6. Put that eye patch on and get yer parrot on yer arm, all while holding a bottle of grog.
    Or use Darktable, free and open source.

    Subscription model is nothing but a scam, outside of maybe tiny amount of valid use cases. And Adobe is not one of them. But that makes you pay 10x more than you would, because nobody normal would upgrade each year otherwise, and when you stop paying leaves you with the very exact nothing, you are only renting the software.  Killed 2nd hand market right there.

    You will have nothing. You will own nothing.

    Edited by makar0n
  7. 2 hours ago, sarthur1 said:

    a short search in google (best free alternative to adobe lightroom 2023)

    this is the first link, my guess is that all links will have the same list, maybe some softwares will have different ranks.

    https://skylum.com/blog/guide-to-the-best-free-lightroom-alternatives

    Skylum makes Luminar , which in turn sits on no.1 on that list...I wonder why.
    A lot of sites offering such "rankings" are nothing but paid advertises, if not direct devs. One has to look a bit more careful ;)

    Edited by makar0n
  8. Adobe's subscription model forced me to abandon Lightroom and Photoshop completely. After testing a lot of options in the market I've moved to Capture One and never looked back. They (still) offer a perpetual license OR a subscription based model. I've bought a perpetual license in 2021 and I don't need to upgrade annually. I'll probably keep this same version for many years to come. And the final output that I'm able to achieve in my black and white photography is way better than Lightroom's. It's a great piece of software.

  9. I think I'm going to cancel all of my subscriptions in protest too!

    Here's my list:

    • Netflix
    • HBO
    • Audible
    • Spotify
    • Gym
    • Garbage pickup
    • Water
    • Electricity
    • Health care
    • Life insurance

    Yes, it's absurd but the fact is that if you don't like the service that Adobe is providing then don't use it. I'm not pointing fingers here, but I'm a bit tired of the self-righteousness constantly on display by people who reject subscription software. This occurs constantly on every tech related forum I browse.

    Personally, I get great value from LRc/PS and $120 a year is a good price for my usage. The updates, improvements, and new features added in the last year alone would have prompted me to buy a new Full Fare version if that was still a thing. Remember when software like Photoshop and Microsoft Office cost like $500 in upfront payment and then yearly upgrade fees? I do, and I was a rabid pirate as a result. Subscriptions are a lot less work than piracy truth be told. Subscriptions killed of piracy in the music industry, so maybe they are on to something?

  10. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

    Ive been using LR since 1.0 and probably paid for a version upgrade  every 2nd or 3rd iteration up until the introduction of the subscription model. I find the current version terrific and, although Photoshop is included in the package, I find I use it less and less. 

    So for about £9 a month, just over £100 a year, I’ve got a package that has improved continually. Much though I don’t like the subscription model, I don’t feel cheated by Adobe. - actually maybe the opposite because of the continuous and regular improvements. 

    Like I say, pay your money, one way another, and make your choice. It’d be very hard to argue that LR isn’t a good product. Whether it’s good value becomes a personal decision. 

  11. This is where you have to see the value on the subscription. At this point, I'm getting my $9.99./mo value, and as someone mentioned, the larger updates every two years were fairly expensive, so if I'm getting regular updates and improvements along the way, that's a win. In this case, we're getting Photoshop and Lightroom, along with Bridge (if you use that), two very robust products for <$10/mo. But, the eye is in the beholder. 

  12. For years I used LR since the 1.0 version. It's a great software, nothing to say about it, it's just not for me. Not because of the software itself, but because of their business model. When the subscription was introduced I went for it and when the iPad version became available I subscribed to the 1TB cloud plan which I think it's an incredible tool, specially for full time photographers that needs mobility. What bothered me was that for years I paid "rent" to Adobe without using their software on a daily basis. Actually, specially during the pandemic, months went by without even launching the LR app. But besides that my main issue with this model it that I felt "enslaved" by Adobe. When I realized that all my work was sitting in their cloud, locked in their software and without payment years of work would become useless I took the hard decision to look for alternatives. I had to re-develop thousands of photographs along the way in the new software I'm using and managing a local backup, but I'm free again to upgrade software whenever I choose and I have immediate access to all my images locally (somehow I couldn't download some RAW files back from Adobe's cloud, I don't trust it 100%). So I bought a software and as long as I want I can keep using it just like in the old days. The plus which I was not expecting is that the image output quality is even better than LR for my kind of photography.

    My previous DSLR camera lasted 10 years and I don't need always the latest and greatest software that is able to read RAW files of newer cameras that I don't own. The subscription model make us pay for upgrades we don't need most of the time. I still prefer the ownership model over the subscription model the whole industry (software and non) is moving to. In my opinion and for my usage €150/year for LR seems a good deal in the short term but the long term cost is high since there's no alternative other than keep paying forever. Consider that I paid €170 "una tantum" on a black Friday sales of Capture One.

    Of course this is just my case and people have different needs and expectations. It's up to us to choose the best option. I'm probably just getting old... :-D

  13. Guys I do not want to convince anyone, and I am convinced that you are happy with the product and the price.
    But personally, mere economic covenience takes second place to the ethics of the companies involved. In short, for me there is more than just money.

    It is no accident that any internet search for Adobe subscription model, controversy, predatory brings back thousands of negative comments. A unique case among large software companies. Not even Microsoft in the 1990s... All users gone crazy?

    Monopoly is toxic for any business and I simply hate monopoly. 

    Creative cloud is evil. Yesterday was Venezuela, tomorrow maybe Italy or your country.

    https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/7/20904030/adobe-venezuela-photoshop-behance-us-sanctions

    If you have spare time just read this article which summarize perfectly all questions raised by Adobe business model. It's simply not for me.

    https://petapixel.com/2020/02/15/photographers-this-is-why-other-photographers-hate-adobe/

     

     

  14. 20 hours ago, roberto.formiga said:

    .

     

    Is you didn't want to preach and convince anyone you would have ended your post after the first sentence. You clearly have a bone to pick and a crusade to fight.

    Edited by davehicks
  15. 8 hours ago, Davide DB said:

    It is no accident that any internet search for Adobe subscription model, controversy, predatory brings back thousands of negative comments. A unique case among large software companies. Not even Microsoft in the 1990s... All users gone crazy?

    Pffffft, you want to talk predatory pricing, look at Oracle. They demand you license every single node in your cluster that their software can possibly run on. Not actively runs on, not designated as a failover target, but potentially available.

    image.png.361e4041ef9bfb741a16762c358c306f.png

  16. 20 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:

     

    image.png.361e4041ef9bfb741a16762c358c306f.png

    Hahahaha.

    Another monopoly.

  17. 8 hours ago, Davide DB said:

    Hahahaha.

    Another monopoly.

    You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.