Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon R50/Nauticam NA-R50 video setup

Started by wydeangle ·

  • 31Posts
  • 31Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon R50/Nauticam NA-R50 video setup

31 posts
  1. Since I'm using the Canon R50/Nauticam NA-R50 setup almost exclusively for video, here's a new thread to cover what I find.

    Here's a list of the equipment I'll be using:

    Canon R50 camera

    Nauticam NA-R50 housing with the following additions

          25625 M16 Vacuum Valve II (Pushbutton Release)

          25131 LCD Magnifier attachment rails for NA-RX100III/RX100IV/RX100V/RX100VI/R50

          25106 LCD Magnifier with Dioptric Adjustment

          36316 Hand strap for Mirrorless IL camera & compact camera housing (Standard)

          83214 Bayonet mount Adaptor for SMC/CMC

    Along with the above parts from Nauticam I'm using a ReefNet Subsee +10 diopter

    An Orcatorch D910V Light on about a 16-segment 1/2" Loc-Line flexy arm.

    Several home made orange colored floats.

    Also notice there is no tray or handle installed. I'm hoping the strap will work and that I can avoid the extra size and weight!

    I'm quite pleased to report that this setup weighs about 1/2 pound negative submerged and under 9 pounds above water!

    So pleased, in fact that if it works well next month in Bonaire I'll offer my well-used AX700/Gates rig up for sale here on Wetpixel. The Gates rig weighs over 30 pounds with an external monitor so I'll be carrying roughly 20 pounds less above water weight with this rig with all the advantages that implies. But that was my whole intent ;-)

    I've already established that the above water performance of the Canon R50 is at least as good to my uneducated eyes as the Sony it will replace.

    When it stops raining here in Florida - along with today's lightning! - I'll take the rig to my neighbor's pool and see if it has any advantages or problems.

    Meanwhile here are some pictures of the current setup:

     

    Canon R50 UW left side 3.jpg

    Canon R50 UW top 3.jpg

    Canon R50 UW right side 1.jpg

    Edited by wydeangle
  2. I don't want to spoil your enthusiasm, but it is frankly impossible to get decent macro shots with a tray let alone a strap (and a Subsee +10).

    The viewfinder is also not the best. Any subject on the bottom will force you to lie practically at its height. Not the best position for standing still in curating composition and maintaining focus.

  3. Davide,

    Understood.

    There's a slight upward angle to the LCD viewer. I hope that will help. In this housing, there's no access to the viewfinder. It will be almost self-defeating if I need to use an external monitor :( because of the size and weight.

    At least you can't accuse me of not being an optimist. I'll certainly see what happens when I try it!

    I also  have a +5 so maybe that will be something else to try.

    Tom

     

  4. Excuse me for being direct. I didn't mean to be offensive. It's just that I'm/we've been through this before and I wanted to save you an extra waltz. Especially if you are about to go on a trip :)

    Anyway let's say starting with what you have, you always make time to add a small tripod and possibly a tray.

    The problem with holding the camera with a strap is that you will inevitably transmit small vibrations to it that will be real earthquakes with a macro lens. At the very least you will be forced to put the camera on the bottom trying to touch it as little as possible. 

    If your purpose is macro, and since you are into DIY, try to make some kind of snoot to focus the light from the torch. All you need is a tube the same size as the lamp head that sticks out 4 inches. Since you will be working with subjects very close to the lens you will avoid reflections on the lens and it will be easier not to illuminate the water between the lens and the subject.

  5. Here I was optimistic as you :) And it was just a 35 mm

     

    image.thumb.png.0d4e55f600dccef5e819f28b4f13066d.png

  6. Davide,

    LOL!

    But, did it work?   :rolleyes:

    Tom

  7. 3 hours ago, wydeangle said:

    Davide,

    LOL!

    But, did it work?   :rolleyes:

    Tom

    Of course no. Hence my suggestions :)

     

  8. Well,

    Davide was correct! No surprise...

    I wanted to video small creatures that exist probably on or near the bottom. After a short pool session this morning, looking through the Nauticam LCD magnifier and later looking at the housing's LCD (similar to Davide's picture above) I could probably look downward a bit, but my neck doesn't seem to have enough vertebral mobility to do that, so...

    Somewhere in the distant past (which for me is anything over two weeks ago) I seemed to recall something about a Pentamirror. Its purpose is to allow the photographer to look straight down while shooting straight ahead.

    Long story short, I found the AOI UMG-05 I bought last year to fit the Olympus plastic housing for a TG-5 camera. Miracle! It fit the Nauticam perfectly!

    Still haven't tried it below water but for above water it works fine. So now the housing can be set down on clear sand or a rock and be at eye level with the critter - I hope. Looking straight downward I can frame much much better. Perhaps even a small tripod could be used as well.

    Here are some pictures of the revised Nauticam NA-R50 housing showing the 90 degree AOI viewfinder installed on the Nauticam rails meant for their adjustable viewfinder (rails part number is listed in the prior message):

     

    AOI UMG-05-1.jpg

    AOI UMG-05-2.jpg

    AOI UMG-05-3.jpg

    Edited by wydeangle
  9. Well the saga continues (sorry...)

    I tried to add a pocket to my BC to accommodate the SubSee diopter when it wasn't on the housing. The thinking was to remove it when not in use and stow it in a pocket. Couldn't find a pocket that was convenient; ruled out attaching it temporarily to the light arm because it's too bendy, so decided to use a flip adapter; much more convenient and quicker, so -

    I ordered the Saga M67 Single Flip Diopter Holder to install into the Nauticam bayonet adapter P/N 83214. Naturally it doesn't fit. The diameter of the Nauticam adapter plus its depth prevent the SAGA 67mm male thread from reaching the female thread in the adapter.

    Thankfully there's a little time for more modifications so I'll be taking the Nauticam bayonet adapter to a local race car shop to see if they can remove the part of the adapter that gets in the way - the part furthest away from the housing. I'll post a photo of the modified adapter hopefully Tuesday night.

    I just had the feeling this might turn into a quest...

    Tom

  10. Hummm I could be wrong...

    On my N85 port I have the Nauticam bayonet adapter for the WWL-1B and if I want to use the flip adapter I need to remove it. The flip fits directly on the small M67 thread on the flat port. 

  11. 43 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

    Hummm I could be wrong...

    On my N85 port I have the Nauticam bayonet adapter for the WWL-1B and if I want to use the flip adapter I need to remove it. The flip fits directly on the small M67 thread on the flat port. 

    Agree, the part 83214 is an adapter you attach to the CMC/SMC diopters from Nauticam to allow you to mate it with the Nauticam bayonet holder. This can be one installed on an arm or installed on one of their flat ports .  The Saga should screw directly into the Nauticam flat ports with an M67 thread.

  12. Davide and Chris,

    Sorry to report: the NA-R50 housing has no M67 threads. There's only a bayonet adapter. Here's a closeup:

    440426276_NA-R50frontportcloseup.thumb.jpg.8ca9fb4fcf724233c032097ffacc298e.jpg

    As you can see, a bayonet to M67 adapter is necessary as stated above in the parts list. I do wish there were some threads available!

    I'll post some pictures of the modified bayonet adapter (I hope) Tuesday evening.

    Tom

  13. 28 minutes ago, wydeangle said:

    Davide and Chris,

    Sorry to report: the NA-R50 housing has no M67 threads. There's only a bayonet adapter. Here's a closeup:

    440426276_NA-R50frontportcloseup.thumb.jpg.8ca9fb4fcf724233c032097ffacc298e.jpg

    As you can see, a bayonet to M67 adapter is necessary as stated above in the parts list. I do wish there were some threads available!

    I'll post some pictures of the modified bayonet adapter (I hope) Tuesday evening.

    Tom

    Right be good to see if you force fit it then.  Looks like Nauticam assume you'll bayonet on a WWL or one of their CMC/SMC lenses.

  14. Here's a bit of a side view of the housing. The bayonet mount appears to be machined directly on to the port (there isn't a separate flat port):

    1312263439_NA-R50bayonetsideview.thumb.jpg.b283f21dc7c853caa4cec00d3c5e5c75.jpg

     

    I'm hoping the extra material can be removed from the removable 83214 adapter without hindering its function. Fingers crossed!

    Tom

    Edited by wydeangle
  15. Please stop.

    Check with Nauticam how they put a standard M67 diopter on that port.

    If you grind the port you would have problems to sell it in the future.

    I would prefer to buy the nauticam adapter and sell the wrong saga flip

  16. Davide,

    Not to worry!

    I'm cutting the lip off the 83214 adapter. I'm not touching the housing itself, or its port.

    So the only thing being modified is easily and economically replaceable.

    I did check with Nauticam (via REEF PHOTO) and they informed me Nauticam has no applicable flip attachment for the NA-R50 housing, so I need to make something.

    So please relax :D

    Tom

  17. After this it's going to be packed (whew!)

    Here's the as-delivered Nauticam Bayonet Adapter (photo from the Nauticam web site):NauticamBayonetAdaptor.thumb.jpg.6310995c452acf6e0cd635a86dded80c.jpg

    And here's mine after modification:

    ModifiedNauticamBayonetAdaptor.thumb.jpg.f69d9aa0fdbc586cbbed907e88846ec9.jpg

    As I hope you can see, the lip has been removed entirely and a flat spot added to the right, about 1/4 of the way around from the white index mark. The flat is needed to clear the hinge on the SAGA flip adaptor and provides a convenient way to install the adaptor in the correct orientation.

    With a lathe it would have been much quicker and simpler...

    The camera side of the diopter is slightly further away from the flat port - don't know if it will make much difference. Above water it seems fine; UW, well, we'll see, I hope Sunday!

    I'll post one more photo after I assemble the housing.

    Tom

  18. OK - here are the assembled photos. Next message about the housing may be a while depending on island WiFi ;-)

    1213355577_NA-R50assembled1.thumb.jpg.e9189c8b4011c36e992ec6349d6877a3.jpg

    NA-R50 assembled 2.jpg

    Almost forgot! Total weight is 7 pounds as seen. Very, very good! Submerged weight approximately 1/2 pound, adjustable if I need to by changing the flotation. Happy camper up to now; hope it keeps its promise.

    NA-R50 assembled 3.jpg

    Edited by wydeangle
  19. I have the same problem with the lip of the adapter. I also want to install a flip adapter. Therefore, I am very curious to see if it will work underwater as well. My fingers are crossed! :-)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.