Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Rechargeable batteries for Perdix 2?

Started by phxazcraig ·

  • 21Posts
  • 21Replies

Read-only discussion

Rechargeable batteries for Perdix 2?

21 posts
  1. I have just received my 3rd dive computer since 2006, a Shearwater Perdix 2.    Previously I used a Suunto Cobra 2 for 15 years and a Suunto D5 for the past 3.  

    I've just opened the package and started watching Youtube videos and the like about this computer.   I'm sure I'm going to like it after having seen a number of them in use in Truk Lagoon.

    My primary reason for getting it and moving on from the D5 is that I wanted more information on the main screen, particularly the time-to-deco.   The D5 used a rotary graph that changed depending on whether or not you were in deco, and frankly I just wanted back to the Cobra2 info display.

    Anyway one of the first things I came to as a question is whether or not I can use my Eneloop rechargeables in this computer and still get the vibration alerts.   My Eneloops are rated at 1.2v I think.

    I'm not averse to using other batteries, but I do want rechargeable ones, unless somehow a pack of 18 Energizer Lithiums can power me through about 75 dives in a year.

    I don't care about the price of the batteries or charger,  but it would be nice if I can find a rechargeable that also uses the same charger as my Eneloops.

  2. I've had a Perdix and then Perdix II for many years. One Energizer Lithium battery lasts me for a season of cold water diving, plus a warm water trip or two, typically about 140 dives a year.

    I had to use a regular alkaline battery once, and the battery graph almost immediately showed some drop. I suspect the rechargeables would cause more trouble than they're worth. And I doubt Shearwater recommends theem.

    But use lithium.
     

     

  3. To be honest this is really a question to ask before buying your computer;),  that being said, the table linked above shows what batteries can be used.  The Eneloops are NiMH batteries and as you say 1.2V while the Energiser lithium are 1.5V nominal - they behave like rechargeable lithiums with fairly constant voltage till they basically give up - with little warning.

    They also mention 3.7V Li-ion batteries something like this:

    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/144028696467?hash=item2188c77f93:g:kWUAAOSwASVg2SSR&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0MGudNlOWp3UguTteayb4bih9gj43y%2BGBWaA88T1rUODrXJjgFDTQ1M%2FV7flMUide8UDTZDhOO7iQSxEL%2FXMko38f4uMQ5MZNiRZqBV76uNGqrgBJh6b0opj%2Ftkw%2F8jK0rRdBDh3SbqM3ZgO7mr5oWNtLBBV8W350FJG3Gf6rp7cMc%2BWY7bSQyb6G9mXdnNpSEWfRaZsbJH1oANE%2FtwJgUs%2BCXA85bp9utPf9LE%2Fm5%2BbTvfT9EHIyCt6fHKFbnf7HS60mm2zqmcp3xJahWUQFws%3D|tkp%3ABFBMhMjXk4pi

    Don't know if it's a decent brand or not. so you might like to research that and  won't be chargeable in many AA chargers meant for NiMH, though there might be some around that do both types of battery.  Probably your best bet if you want rechargeable - it's not a big deal to charge it up before diving if you are not sure - the behavior I remember from the disposable Energiser Lithiums is they are good till they are not which seems a little undesirable.

    I went with the peregrine computer from Shearwater, doesn't do air integration which is fine for me but it does have wireless recharging, you never have to open it up to change batteries!! 

  4. I guess I really want to know how many batteries I will need (Energizer Lithiums, have a 12-pack on order) for my typical 2-week dive trip in Roatan.   Max of 40 hours submerged over 2 weeks.    My D5 would need a recharge at least every other day.   To be honest, if one battery and a spare gets me through 2 weeks, it's good.  Better than recharging the D5 all the time.   Plus with the ability to fall back on the Eneloops I'll have with me for the strobes.

     

  5. Sounds like the answer is One based on what Stoo reports. And take a spare just in case…..

  6. 51 minutes ago, phxazcraig said:

    I guess I really want to know how many batteries I will need (Energizer Lithiums, have a 12-pack on order) for my typical 2-week dive trip in Roatan.   Max of 40 hours submerged over 2 weeks.    My D5 would need a recharge at least every other day.   To be honest, if one battery and a spare gets me through 2 weeks, it's good.  Better than recharging the D5 all the time.   Plus with the ability to fall back on the Eneloops I'll have with me for the strobes.

     

    One fresh energizer lithium and a spare will be plenty for two weeks. I doubt you will need the spare.

  7. As mentioned, one with a spare should do you fine. Just a note though, if you're not diving for a while, remove the battery. The biggest driver of returns for repairs is a leaky battery (DIVE-Tronix is local to me here in Washington). 

  8. On 5/25/2023 at 3:42 AM, phxazcraig said:

    I guess I really want to know how many batteries I will need (Energizer Lithiums, have a 12-pack on order) for my typical 2-week dive trip in Roatan.   Max of 40 hours submerged over 2 weeks.    My D5 would need a recharge at least every other day.   To be honest, if one battery and a spare gets me through 2 weeks, it's good.  Better than recharging the D5 all the time.   Plus with the ability to fall back on the Eneloops I'll have with me for the strobes.

     

    I recently went on vacation for similar hours. I put a fresh battery in and took a spare with me. I've done plenty of diving since returning home, and I'm still on the original battery installed before my vacation.

  9. I have been diving Shearwater computers all the way back to the original Pursuit (2007). Like that Pursuit and all the models (Predator, Petrel, Perdix) that that followed it the battery compartment was designed around a single AA sized battery. Granted, those older models were solely reliant on a Saft 3.6V Lithium LS14500 type battery required more juice than what a standard 1.5V AA could provide.

    With the introduction the Petrel and Perdix model computers, those 3.6V Lithium LS14500 type batteries were no longer required, allowing virtually “any” brand/type AA type battery can be used – albeit results will very between el-cheapo Zinc-Carbon 1.5V type AA’s to your run of the mill 1.5V alkaline, rechargeable 1.2V NiMH to the more exotic Photo 1.5V Lithium AA’s. Shearwater highly recommends Energizer’s 1.5V Ultimate Lithium model as it has been shown to run a Perdix for up to 60 hours straight.         

    To this day, I still favor the Saft 3.6V Lithium LS14500 AA’s as they still provide the longest, most reliable life span, Shearwater says 130 hours, I found it more between 110 and 90 hours with the display settings on medium brightness. Main drawback with the Saft’s is that you lose the Vibration support when installed and they’re not the type of battery you will find in your corner drug store, you had to buy them from specialized dealers - https://www.atbatt.com/saft-ls14500-aa-3-6v-primary-lithium-battery/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuerui4-67gIV9ebjBx1HvwozEAYYCSABEgI8aPD_BwE)

    Bottomline they are all going work. So, if you are carrying a few spare rechargeable AA’s your Shearwater Perdix or Petrel is more than covered.

    Edited by Walt Stearns
  10. Just making sure, with an original Perdix AI, the only thing I'm losing by using an Eneloop Pro (same as for my strobes and torch) is battery charge level tracking, correct?

  11. You still kinda do. What it ends up showing is full till it gets into the very low range at that point the battery level indicator shows yellow at the bottom end.

  12. OK, I'm now happy that the Perdix battery consumption is either a lot lower than my Suunto D5, or just a lot bigger.   I now have a 12-pack of these (quite light) batteries, plus the one that came with the Perdix.  Sounds like if I took 2 I'll be happy and 3 is belt-and-suspenders.  Heck, they are so light I could pack all 12 if I had the space.

    I do really want the vibration alerts.  I appreciated the sonic alerts I got with my Suunto, but they drove me nuts when I was doing a video - annoying beep in the video and couldn't move hands to turn it off.

  13. You'll probably not even need the spares, but it's always good to have one on hand. The battery I mentioned above finally gave me a warning on my last dive. It's hard for me to measure dive counts because I do a lot of long shallow muck dives for photography mixed in with shorter boat dives. I need to try and measure how many hours I'm getting out of a battery.

  14. Just a couple of days ago my Perdix AI died during the dive due to an empty battery. I had an Energizer Lithium installed. At the beginning of the dive the indicator showed a full battery, but after about 30 minutes into the dive, the indicator went to yellow warning, followed by a red warning 1 minute later, and a dead computer immediately after that. Thankfully it was an easy dive with only a couple of minutes of deco. I can't imagine my computer dying on me on a serious trimix or a cave dive. Energizer battery went into trash immediately, and I installed a regular Duracell alkaline battery after that. It won't last as long, but at least I'll be able to trust the battery indicator.

  15. 2 hours ago, Andrej Oblak said:

    Just a couple of days ago my Perdix AI died during the dive due to an empty battery. I had an Energizer Lithium installed. At the beginning of the dive the indicator showed a full battery, but after about 30 minutes into the dive, the indicator went to yellow warning, followed by a red warning 1 minute later, and a dead computer immediately after that. Thankfully it was an easy dive with only a couple of minutes of deco. I can't imagine my computer dying on me on a serious trimix or a cave dive. Energizer battery went into trash immediately, and I installed a regular Duracell alkaline battery after that. It won't last as long, but at least I'll be able to trust the battery indicator.

    Right up until the point that it leaks and you need to send the computer back for service.

    Regarding the Energizer Lithium's, I've found that I sometimes get a yellow warning but then it goes away and may turn green again. Don't ignore the transient Yellow and replace the battery after the first hint. 

    If you use rechargeable lithium 14500 batteries, you will get a proper, graduated battery gauge without the (high) risk of a leaky alkaline. They don't last as long as the Energizers but are good for at least 20-30 hours.

  16. 28 minutes ago, davehicks said:

    Right up until the point that it leaks and you need to send the computer back for service.

    Still prefer having to service my computer than it unexpectedly dying on me with unfinished decompression. Thankfully I dive often enough so that the leak shouldn't happen :)

  17. On 6/1/2023 at 7:51 AM, Barmaglot said:

    Just making sure, with an original Perdix AI, the only thing I'm losing by using an Eneloop Pro (same as for my strobes and torch) is battery charge level tracking, correct?

    You lose warnings.  Apparently there are no more beeps, but with the right batteries you get haptic (vibration) alerts.   No vibration with Eneloops,

  18. 3 hours ago, phxazcraig said:

    You lose warnings.  Apparently there are no more beeps, but with the right batteries you get haptic (vibration) alerts.   No vibration with Eneloops,

    As I understand it, this applies only to Perdix 2. The original Perdix/Perdix AI doesn't have beeps or vibration regardless of batteries.

  19. Say no to rechargeable batteries ;)

    use the Energizer Lithium - long lasting - easy to replace/find replacements.

     

    Matan.

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.