Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

macro lens and minimum focusing distance limit

Started by hedonist222 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

macro lens and minimum focusing distance limit

2 posts
  1. Hello

    I have an aquatica housing for my 5d mkii and Canon 100mm f/2.8L lens

    I find that I cannot get closer because I've reached the minimum focusing distance.

    A diopter would help?

    What magnification? And what limitations would the magnification pose?

    Thank you.

  2. 21 hours ago, hedonist222 said:

    Hello

    I have an aquatica housing for my 5d mkii and Canon 100mm f/2.8L lens

    I find that I cannot get closer because I've reached the minimum focusing distance.

    A diopter would help?

    What magnification? And what limitations would the magnification pose?

    Thank you.

    Yes a diopter works by allowing you to focus closer.  The catch is the far focus limit is also significantly reduced.  You can see what the Nauticam diopters do to magnification in the port chart here:

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Gnv4zPoocXyF0W8R3SIfuM541HJ70He/view

    You'll see for example the SMC-1 allows you to focus at 2.2x and focus only between 45 and 89mm working distance.  So it only allows a narrow range of magnification.  The INON UCL-67 and 90 are roughly equivalent to the SMC-2 and SMC-1.  Finding the subject in the viewfinder and getting AF working (camera body dependent) becomes more difficult as does finding the subject in the first place and lighting it.

    What to get depends on how much more magnification you want - if you want only a little bit more something like a subsee +5  or an INON UCL-165 give less magnification and are easier to use with a wider focus range.  it will give you about 1.5x or so as smaximum magnification with greater working distance.

    This wetpixel live episode explains.  Note the message - maximum magnification is not generally the most useful.

    View archived post in: Wetpixel Live: Macro Close Up Lenses

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.