The cost of Evolution. If we had stayed with exposing silver-plated glass we would never had any underwater pics. (BTW, when was the first underwater picture taken and how?)
I think it is more about if the photographers are willing to evolve with the options of technology. I remember and still do occasional "old school" film shooting and self-processing. It has "zen" and has much personal satisfaction. I just learned to see the whole world through 25-64 ASA through F-1 sportfinder eyes (I miss this feature the most), and often guessed right without that lightmeter. Manual Light adjustment? Push or pull the flashhead, from repeat experience and days of pool tests you knew what strobe distance gave in F-stops with 64Film. You mastered the film and equipment and created your style. It took decades for revolutionary automatic camera features to be introduced and just confused the serious amateurs then at first. There was little pressure for the photographer to evolve.
Fast forward 40-50 years to the present. Digital as immediately satisfying and environmentally-friendly it has become, now requires me to be besides the photographer, computer programmer, lab-technician, art director/editor, plus now film producer, director, director of cine, focus puller, sound recorder, video/sound editor, post production editor, product marketing and project closer. I'm sure I have left out many other functions and positions. I apologize to all whose job I excluded and omitted for with my new 7D I will have to do all of your jobs now, with the evolution and options given to me by Canon.
The camera used to be the limiting factor, now it is my brain and time to learn it all. I often wonder if the "old school" days of film developed "Mastery of limitations into creativity" while current plethora of options/features create more confusion and difficulty in style direction. Although many here on Wetpixel blow me away every week and prove otherwise.
I still love shooting film, but I also love to evolve and grow in my image capture. I love my old film camera collection, although it means nothing but only to a few (I sold a complete Rolleimarin system for $2K to a collector on E-bay last year). But I'm excited and looking forward to learning to use all of my new 7D features. As old as I'm getting, this new camera is keeping me young and stimulated, excited and proud. There is no possible price tag on that. Although it is getting cheaper by the day....LOL
Bo