Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Macs and Nikon View

Started by whitehead ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Macs and Nikon View

7 posts
  1. I wonder if anyone else has this issue or knows of a solution?

     

    When fully opening a Nikon NEF file with Nikon View under windows (2.5 Ghz Pentium 4) NV open the files immediately BUT when performing the same action with a Mac (iMAc20) the wait is laborious - I would estimate 15 seconds.

     

    This is seriously affecting my workflow as I now need to do the initial image choice from a trip on the PC (toggling quickly between similar images to choose the better ones) cos the the mac take so long its nearly impossible.

     

    Does anyone know of fix?

  2. i don't know much about this at all not having a nikon or a mac .... (wow what an opinionated arguement of a thread this could turn into!!!!)

     

    however .. I have been with alex when he has his ickle mac laptop on holiday and he is checking pics ... it is slow with his raw files to view them too .. he gave me a reason for this but owning a pc and a canon i didn't really pay any attention to what he was saying as I don't have that problem :D (..theres the cast ... is anyone gonna bite ...)

     

    anyways .. my point is .. i have seen the same thing with someone elses stuff ... my solution ... when downloading and checking images get yourself a beer sit down and chill out. Much better than a fast computer.

  3. It is well known that previewing RAW files on the Mac is dog-slow when compared to when using a PC. In fact, viewing any image on the Mac is much slower, for some reason, with nearly every viewing product available. I have no idea why, but I harp at my friends who work at Apple all the time, and they just apologize for it.

     

    No one these days uses a Mac because it's fast. It's all about the... feeling, and elegance. I feel it, too, when I sit behind one, but since I value speed over all else, I stick with my PC.

     

    Sorry we can't help! I guess you should probably make sure you have enough RAM on your machine, though.

  4. I picked up a mac mini so I could experience "the magic" and installed PSCS on it. I tested ACR on it with a couple of 1Ds2 files. Granted it's just a G4 (but that's what the Powerbooks have) but RAW conversions are incredibly slow.

  5. Hey Paul -

     

    I use CS on a Powerbook g4 to view both NEF and JPG files from a folder downloaded onto desktop.. CS pulls up the NEF thumbs fast. I then flag the keepers and later use Nikon Capture to read the file (better than CS raw filter)..it does take a few seconds...do adjustments and then save as tiff to read in CS...

     

    M.

  6. I wonder if anyone else has this issue or knows of a solution?

     

    When fully opening a Nikon NEF file with Nikon View under windows (2.5 Ghz Pentium 4) NV open the files immediately BUT when performing the same action with a Mac (iMAc20) the wait is laborious - I would estimate 15 seconds.

     

    This is seriously affecting my workflow as I now need to do the initial image choice from a trip on the PC (toggling quickly between similar images to choose the better ones) cos the the mac take so long its nearly impossible.

     

    Does anyone know of fix?

    Yes, have Canon and Nikon optimize the code instead of porting. It is a software optimization issue.

    If you try NC 4.2 with a g4, bring out the coffee. DPP 1.5 is also glacial in opening. However, convert to TIFF it speeds up.

  7. No one these days uses a Mac because it's fast.  It's all about the... feeling, and elegance. I feel it, too, when I sit behind one, but since I value speed over all else, I stick with my PC.

     

    I have a G4 laptop, and an ibm thinkpad. Ive pretty much settled on the thinkpad. Sure, the apple is nice and all, but OSX just lacks too many small apps that I want to use. Things like divecomputer software, some GPS software, etc etc. Maybe in a year or 2 i'll give it another try.

     

    For almost anything the thinkpad feels much faster. The only thing I really miss on my thinkpad is something like Expose. I know there are windows clones, but there is just something about the whole experience on the apple :D

     

    Cor

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.