Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Almost really Bad timing.

Started by acroporas ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Almost really Bad timing.

9 posts
  1. On the 4th dive of a 10 dive livaboard trip I forgot the port O-ring.

     

    It turns out that the 300D is not weather sealed well enough to withstand 30ft of seawater. Who whould have thought?

     

    CRW_8955.jpg The last picture that will ever come out of my poor digital rebel.

     

    CRW_8955-s.jpg

     

    At the time it felt like horible timing. It was really tough diving without my camera. And of course as soon as you dont have a camera you see all kinds of great photo-opps. Though I did discover that I use 35% less air when I'm not pushing around a camera.

     

    Not only did it happen at the beginning of the trip but it happened just days after the 300D was discontinued. I have DAN insurance and they say that they consider depreciation when calculating the claim so is that just swell that I bust my camera just days after it drops in value by at least $200.

     

     

    Then comes the good news. When I go to the local camera store it turns out that news of the 350D hasnt made it to Australia yet. Or at least not to this store. And even better Australian prices are much higher than US prices so they quote me $1400 US to replace the 300D.

     

    So I send the Quote to DAN and say that they take the Deductable out of the Replacement cost not out of the ammount that I had the camera Insured for. Since 1400-250 is still more than the 1000 I had the camera was insured for I dont have to pay Any of the deductable.

     

    So they are going to send me a check for the full $1000 that I had it insured for. How sweet is that. I got to use the camera for 18 months and just under 20,000 shots and then as soon as it is no longer current DAN sends me a check for $100 more than it was worth when it was first announced 18 months ago.

     

    I dont even care that I missed out 6 dives worth of shots.

     

     

    So no I get to figure out how I want to spned the $1470 check that is in the mail.

     

    Anyone want to trade my 300D housing for your 20D housing??? Hey its worth a try....

     

    But seriously after I get a new used 300D body and a used 100mm I should have about $600 left over and a camera with 20K less clicks. But now I have to figure out how to spend that $600. Now that really is the most painfull part.. :blink:

  2. Wow!

     

    When I first started reading this thread I felt terrible for you.

     

    By the end I was feeling jealous! Looks like you lucked in mate! Very good message on insurance.

     

    Look forward to seeing more of your pictures with your new setup.

  3. $600 huh? Well, that will get you a nice L&M shooting light <_<

     

    I have a book I can sell you...it's only $18.95 retail, but I'll sign it for you, that is worth $580 right? :blink:

     

    Joe

  4. It turns out that the 300D is not weather sealed well enough to withstand 30ft of seawater. Who whould have thought?

    CRW_8955.jpg The last picture that will ever come out of my poor digital rebel.

    Wasn't there a question on here the other day asking about the resistance of CF cards to seawater?

     

    Have you unwittingly conducted an experiment for us all William? Or was your CF card dry when you resurfaced.

     

    Also, howz the shopping going?

  5. It turns out that the 300D is not weather sealed well enough to withstand 30ft of seawater. Who whould have thought?

    CRW_8955.jpg The last picture that will ever come out of my poor digital rebel.

    Wasn't there a question on here the other day asking about the resistance of CF cards to seawater?

     

    Have you unwittingly conducted an experiment for us all William? Or was your CF card dry when you resurfaced.

     

    Also, howz the shopping going?

     

    The port is a really big hole to leave uncovered. It flooded fast and hard. My dive computer says 2 minutes. Nothing was dry when I surfaced. Not even any bubbles between the elements in the lens. There was absoultely no air in the housing. Even though the camera was powerd off the info LCD was glowing and the water that I poured out of the housing was a milky white colour.

     

    And yes the CF card is fine.....It is so sad, distroy a $1000 camera and a $500 lens and the $50 CF card was fine.

     

    I was disapointed that the CF card wasnt busted. I had it insured for $200 - the price 512 cards were going for when I when I got my camera.

    Edited by acroporas
  6. I haven't tried the CF card in seawater trick - but my GF did wash my lexar in the washing machine. It worked fine for about 12 months, but now only holds about 20% of capacity.

     

    Mmm, insurance. I really should get some. I did try and sign up with DAN, but never got a reply. Since then I've flooded my 10D (survived) and DS-50 (didn't).

     

    Must remember port O-ring... :D

  7. Question for you:

     

    How did you get DAN insurance when you are based in Australia? I thought DAN insurance was for US/Canadian residents only?

  8. Hey Don

     

    DAN do have other regional centres other than just the US/Canada. I moved a couple of years ago from North America back to Europe and switched to DAN Europe; and have professional insurance with them. Worth checking out the DAN website.

  9. Mmm, insurance.  I really should get some.  I did try and sign up with DAN, but never got a reply.  Since then I've flooded my 10D (survived) and DS-50 (didn't).

     

    Must remember port O-ring... :D

     

    How did you flood your DS-50 ? mine survived two floods. The first time i forgot to put batteries and left the battery compartment half open (and i dived down to 30 meters...). When i came back and found out that it was flooded, i rinsed it in fresh water and left it to dry.

    The second time a few drops of salt water leaked inside the battery compartment and cause the batteries to leak (not a pretty sight). i decdied that the best way to wash all the bubling stuff was to rinse it again in fresh water :(

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.