Luiz,
This is amazing. Yesterday I was stumped by the D2X-Subal-strobe wiring problem, and fairly sure (and I was correct in this) that I didn't really understand what was going on even after reading the posts on the topic to date. A few posts later, returning to check wetpixel after dinner, I knew I already had enough information to proceed and probably get it resolved. Then I wake up this morning and to find detailed color photos and instructions from Luis showing exactly what I must do and how to do it - and without having to cut the green wire. (The bystanders on the movie set are all relieved).
Reiterating what I posted in response to Luiz's instructions on the DIY thread: this
man is a gentleman and a scholar.
Just to sum up what I think I might now vaguely understand, what the Subal manual should have told us was that:
1. The two sets of internal strobe wiring can be switched from four-pin female connectors to the three-pin connectors.
2. For use with housed Nikon strobes (e.g, SB800), the strobe wires should be left in the 4-pin connectors;
3. Replacing the strobe wiring in the 3-pin connectors defeats the "monitor contact" pin and may be necessary (and sufficient?) for use with some strobes (i.e., Ikelite) in manual mode..
4. With other strobes (e.g., Sea&Sea, Inon, SubStrobe, ???) it is also necessary to defeat the "ready light" pin, which can be accomplished by removing the pin from the hotshoe or cutting the green wire.
Does this make sense?
Thanks again all - Alex, David, uwphoto tech, ssra30, and especially Luiz - for all the help.
Frogfish