Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon D2X Review

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 30Posts
  • 30Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D2X Review

30 posts
  1. I have written my D2X review for Wetpixel. I hope that it will be online later (with Eric's help).

     

    EDIT - It is now up on the frontpage of Wetpixel. D2X UW Review

     

    In the mean time, to whet your appetites, here is a 100% crop from a lowest quality JPG, straight from the camera. No adjustment, no sharpening, no nothing in Photoshop.

     

    You can up-rez these files until they are 2-4 times bigger than the original and then with an application of USM - they look this good at 20-40 Megapixel. Wow wow wow!

     

    I can't wait to get my hands on the RAW files I shot!

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. MODIFIED - I have also added the full frame, and a version up-rezzed in Photoshop (from the basic quality JPG, remember) to 50 megapixels(!) and then USM-ed.

    post-713-1110814336_thumb.jpg

    post-713-1110876743_thumb.jpg

    post-713-1110877299_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  2. Looks like she needs to floss more often...:-)

     

    Alex, if you don't have the new Nikon Capture, folks are talking about how good RAW Developer is at handling the D2x files.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I did a quick run of conversions with Rawshooter last night, and wasn't disappointed... I

  4. Hey Alex, can you post some more samples? I am dying to see the review! Thanks in advance for doing it, I am sure it will be very informative.

  5. Yeah, c'mon Eric and James,

     

    Please help Alex put his review up - we're all hanging out for it.

     

    Maybe some more samples Alex?

  6. Here are a couple teasers!

     

    D2Xf.jpgD2Xi.jpg

     

    D2Xg.jpg

     

    I have sent the text to Eric - so it will be up as soon as he has a chance to format it.

     

    Alex

  7. Awesome color Alex :D:(:( .....are you still smiling?

     

    Karl

  8. OMG!!

     

    Looks insane - sitting on the edge of my seat clicking refresh on the front page - hurry up Eric (can I help)!!

     

    Wow - thanks Alex.

  9. To ease the wait. I have a gallery of my D2X images from the trip on my website.

     

    Yes, Karl. I am very happy. There is a picture of James on his website showing him with his new Seacam, grinning like a kid on Christmas morning. I have had a similar expression for most of the last two weeks!

     

    Alex

     

    Here are test shots of the camera's ability with a sunburst, and its 5 frames per second feature.

     

    07wide_sun1.jpg03split_composite.jpg

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  10. Great sunburst. How'd you make the second shot into one photo? Loads of layers...or???

    Want to buy a kidney or two? Think i will have to sell mine to get the camera and housing.

    You do know that marine biologists are all supposed to be poorly paid divemasters who can't afford that stuff don't you?(how am i supposed to add a smilie here?)

     

    Nice work,

    Mike

    ps looks like a bit of a painful landing...

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  11. That is the best digital sunburst I've seen yet! Now, gotta try some shallow stuff to get sunrays.

     

    Word from Seacam is that housings are close!

  12. Mike,

     

    Yeah, you can't believe how poor I am right now! But poor and happy. Whoever said money can't buy you happiness wasn't a photographer!

     

    The composite was done "quick and dirty" in photoshop and is full of mistakes. I will do it properly (with more care) once ACR can open the RAW files for me.

     

    Alex

     

    Here are a couple more shots:

     

    05wide_balanced.jpg

     

    10wide_avail_giannis.jpg16fish_face1.jpg

  13. That is the best digital sunburst I've seen yet!  Now, gotta try some shallow stuff to get sunrays. 

     

    Word from Seacam is that housings are close!

     

    I agree that the D2X capability looks promising. But I would add that the conditions were far from ideal for sunbursts when I took the image above. The sea was very rough (the wind was so strong that our boat snapped one of its mooring lines) so the sun ball was very dispersed and there were no nicely focussed rays . Also, while I am making excuses, I didn't have long to take the shots because Peter Rowlands, who was on modelling detail, had his own pictures to take.

     

    This image (below) was taken on my first dive with the D2X. The divesite offered no helpful foreground subjects, but at least the sea was calm enough for decent sunrays. I am very much looking forward to working more on sunrays when I am next in Cayman.

     

    Alex

     

    sunburst1.jpg

  14. Those blues look stunning....

     

    Can't wait to get mine underwater...

     

    M

  15. This image (below) was taken on my first dive with the D2X. The divesite offered no helpful foreground subjects, but at least the sea was calm enough for decent sunrays. I am very much looking forward to working more on sunrays when I am next in Cayman.

     

    Alex

     

    sunburst1.jpg

     

    Ahhh - these sunbursts are much better than I expected. This may be the last camera I ever house :D

  16. This may be the last camera I ever house :(

     

    That should be the motto of all underwater photographers! java script:emoticon(':D')

     

    I have posted my D2X Underwater Review on the site now:

     

    D2X UW Review

     

    Alex

  17. WOW....I'm speechless....I keep reminding myself that it's the Indian and not the arrow....however, the arrow is incredible

     

    Karl

  18. This was definitely a week for the arrow. Most of our dives were either deepish (shortish) wrecks or drift dives - rather than long, pottering-about-in-the-shallows photo dives. So I was very much taking snapshots. Even though we had permission to dive solo because the weather was rough and cold, for both safety reasons and so the other divers didn't freeze on the RIB, I always tried to stay nearish the group and to come up on time.

     

    To give an idea, on this week long trip I made 16 dives with my D2X, totaling just over 15 hours underwater. On my last week long Red Sea trip in June I made 24 dives with my D100 , totaling over 27 hours underwater. I think that this shows the benefit of going on dedicated photographer trips rather than on standard dive trips. That extra time is what makes the difference between taking snapshots and creating exciting images. This is not a criticism of last week - which was great fun - and provided the diversity of diving (that you tend not to get on a phototrip) and that I wanted to test the camera. Its just an observation.

     

    Alex

  19. Thanks Alex for taking the time to post this information and photos. Using all the lenses and ports really helps too. The cleaner shot is a monster. I'd love to see a cropped for detail 16x20 of that one. Wow.

     

    Rand

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.