Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon D2X Review

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 30Posts
  • 30Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D2X Review

30 posts
  1. Thanks Alex for taking the time to post this information and photos. Using all the lenses and ports really helps too. The cleaner shot is a monster. I'd love to see a cropped for detail 16x20 of that one. Wow.

     

    Rand

     

    Agreed! Not bad for a snap shot :D

     

    The large LCD and the RGB histogram looks really great.

  2. Just read the review, and i am exceedingly jealous.

    The autofocus capabilities really turn me on, i swear my D70 is ages slower than my F90 in that regard.

    Thanks for posting the review Alex.

     

    Soo, once again, anyone interested in purchasing a liver? I'm only 33 so its not that well used...(actually it is now that i think of it)

    HOw about a spleen?

  3. Thanks, Alex, for posting the review! I've been out of town, and busy for the last few days.

     

    Hopefully with enough admins around, I will never be the bottleneck again. :D

  4. You mean galley slaves? :-)

  5. Hi Alex ,

     

    Thanks for shearing all that information about the D2x, the photographs look amazing. When are you coming to the Turks & Caicos Islands? ... then you can let me try it :D

     

    David

  6. Thanks for all the feedback on the review. I hope that it continues to be helpful, and that other members contribute reviews of different housing brands when they get them.

     

    Alex

     

    Oh, and since I have had a couple of emails asking for more 100% crops here is the grouper's eye.

     

    16fish_face1.jpg

    post-713-1110963495_thumb.jpg

  7. Hi Alex

     

    Thanks for all the really useful information.

     

    I am struggling with sunburst shots in particular. My sunburst shots taken with a D70 do not come out well at all, and yours taken with the D2X are mind-blowing.

     

    I have read through a couple of the old posts on the topic but am new enough at Digital SLRs not to have anything approaching a complete understanding.

     

    My question is, will my sunburst pics get materially better with practice and experience or does the D70 simply not have the tonal range to effectively handle these shots?

     

    Attached is a pic taken in Cape Town at a depth of 40m with visibility of +/- 10m and really bad surface conditions (3m swells). How do I get the sunburst to look more like yours....???!!!

     

    post-2915-1110984643_thumb.jpg

  8. How do I get the sunburst to look more like yours....???!!!

     

    Buy a D2x!! Just kidding... You may want to take a look at this thread where Alex explains (and tests) sunburts with a D70. I think that you overexposed the background on your sunburst picture. You can try higher shutter speeds with the same aperture.

    Edited by Rocha
  9. Alex,

    Your choice of images really show off the capabilities of the hardware and your talent. Good job!

     

    I was especially impressed with the URPro filter shots. I bet most viewers pass this over without realizing that this color is attained without stobes. Especially the anthias/soft coral reef scene. They don't have the punch of some of the rich saturated macros (especially the turtle), but the fact that they are available light is encouraging.

     

    This is a technique that slide shooters never embraced - video yes, but film, no. Digital gives that immediate feedback to reinforce what is working, and whats not. You say you manual white balanced prior to the shot. Did you card it? Or just try to balance the composition to contain a mix of red and blue subjects. What was the single most cause of rejects? Brownish blues? Warm objects that were close?

     

    What a way to lighten our load! No strobe color photography!

     

    Lastly what about the D2X, made for easy white balance?

    Keep up the good work.

    Richard Todd

    EPIC

  10. Hi Richard,

     

    I had my grey card with me - but didn't take it underwater as I do not have a convenient place to carry it on my wing (I lost my BC, with its greycard carrying cummerbund, in Hurricane Ivan). So I was just white balancing on the subject. Seemed to work pretty well. I would like to fine tune these WBs a bit in ACR, but at the moment that is not possible because I can't read my D2X RAW files!

     

    I agree with your comments about filters on film.

     

    I don't think that the D2X is any more suitable than any other camera for custom white balancing. I think many cameras do a very good job!

     

    Alex

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.