Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

flat port optics

Started by derway ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

flat port optics

6 posts
  1. Hey all.

     

    I thought I had a website with reference for this, but can't find it now.

     

    When you put a lens behind a flat port, underwater, the effective angle of view is reduced by some factor. What is the commonly accepted factor?

     

    Also, the apparent distance is changed.

     

    So, if I have a lens focused at 20 inches, in air, when I put it behind flat port, and in water, where will the point of sharp focus be? Is it pushed out? By what factor?

     

    We have a "dome port" theory article here, but no "flat port" theory...

     

    Thanks,

    Don

  2. Check out this link:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7566

     

     

    Older UW photobooks go into this in more detail. In-Water Photography by Mertens, 1970; published by Wiley, in particular. It is replete with formulas and graphs.

    Tom

  3. Yup - thanks Tom. The actual physical focus distance is moved out, and the magnification remains unchanged.

     

    Err, the thing I didn't see what by what amount.

     

    I.E. If I have a lens focused at 20 inches, (on the lens barrel), what will the actual phyiscal distance be, corresponding. Obviously, the apparent distance will be 20 inches.

     

    Thanks!

    Don

  4. Don,

    1.33 times 20 or about 27 inches. This is measured from the film plane.

    Hope this helps

    Tom

  5. Just to make it a bit more difficult... What is the effect of the distance between the lens and the inside of the flat port.? Does it matter if the port is a bit long for the lens and if so how does it effect the optics? As most lenses change length in focusing or zooming this may be a factor.

    Edited by AndreSmith
  6. Too long a port could vignette like using too long a lens shade. Effects of dispersion increase with distance from the glass-air interface too but may be too slight to detect.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.