Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

RSS News Reader/Aggregator

Started by cvitter ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

RSS News Reader/Aggregator

22 posts
  1. I have not been able to keep up with Wetpixel lately due to work and life constraints but the new design is quite cool. The feature I really like are the RSS feeds which help me keep up with the latest headlines on the site.

     

    Anyway, if any of you other users are looking for a simple, free RSS Reader application I thought I might plug one that I just released called cRSSReader 2.0. It is free and has no adware/spyware in it as it is something I do just for fun. It will run on Win 2000/XP (98 and ME as well) if you have the .Net Framework v1.1 installed.

     

    You can download the application from my site at:

    http://www.vitter.com/crssreader

  2. Or, if you use Firefox, just download Sage.

  3. Thank you for releasing a free RSS reader! Free software is very cool.

     

    And, yes -- I highly recommend using RSS with Wetpixel and all news or blog sites that support it. It is a huge time saver, in my opinion. Say goodbye to polling!

     

    I wish the forums had an RSS feed. Actually, I can get a "last N posts" RSS feed going, but it won't give you all of the activity. Is anyone interested in such a feature?

  4. I personally would like to see RSS feeds added to the forums. It would make it a lot easier for me to follow topics during the course of the day.

  5. Yeah, RSS forum feeds would be fantastic, but are you saying that they aren't really an option Eric?

  6. Hmmm. Here's a first attempt, which uses something built-in:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/rss.shtml

     

    I see how to do it, but I don't think I'll have time to attempt it until I return in late April. If I for some reason have extra timein the next few days, I'll give it a go. If I get really ambitious, I'll add an RSS feed for each forum!

     

    If you don't see anything happen, nag me around May 1. :D

     

    Please use RSS feeds responsibly and don't hit the server every minute.

    Edited by echeng
  7. Eric, the RSS feeds you added is a nice start. I would love to see Forum specific feeds as well. I tend to watch the Digital SLR/Housings forum the most myself.

  8. I'll get post content into the RSS feeds, and forum-specific feeds. Should be a piece of cake.

  9. me likey

  10. Ive been using the RSS version of the forums for a while now. Ive noticed that not all forums seem to find their way into the RSS feed. Is this intentional? For instance, the current thread about harrassment doesnt seem to be available through RSS. It would be nice if all forums are available through RSS :lol:

     

    Regards,

     

    Cor

  11. Cor -- you're right. I need to update it! I have to explicitly define the forums I want to be in there, and will do it soon.

     

    Also on my list is a forum RSS feed that will allow previews of forum messages to come through. But it's a long list, and I'm not sure when it will be done. :lol:

  12. Cor -- give it a try, again. I've added the missing forums.

     

    I see the missing thread, and I'm not sure why it's missing. Will have to do some research. Let the new settings settle for a bit and let me know if it's still not working properly.

  13. I like the change. The increase in topics is great. I often read wetpixel only once a day or so, and the old 10 or so topics were usually not enough. This is perfect. And the harrassment thread seems to have made it also :lol: thanks!

     

    Cor

  14. I tried setting up my feed using the standard code to specify forums:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/i.php/rss_2.0&forumids=14,45,18,2

     

    and returned "invalid file format". Works fine without the spec code for forums. Anyone else have any luck w/ this?

     

    All the best, James

  15. BTW, RSS just flies over GRPS. I'm using Pocket PC 2003SE with T-Mobile as a provider.

     

    All the best, James

  16. Did this disappear ?

  17. Is it just me or has the rss feed died ??

     

    Paul C

  18. It's down. I talked to Eric about it during our Solomons trip. If he doesnt have time to fix it when he gets back, i'll fix it when im back. But that'll be two weeks from now. The idea is also to improve it a bit in the next months, so you can pick and choose multiple categories.

     

    Cor

  19. Thanks for that Cor, given the lack of response to the post maybe no one uses it ?

     

    Paul C

  20. I don't think it is that no one uses RSS etc etc etc .. I think it is more a very unusual application for a forum to use.

    I however would love it, if I could have a wetpixel feed of my fave forums or better yet ... the new topics (would mean i need to login) all via my netvibes.com page .. I would be super chuffed and it would mean i probably would check out wetpixel more, even if i wasn't coming directly to the pages.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.